Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Zen and thought

benos

One of the things you find, as you travel along a path toward greater awareness, is you begin frequently experiencing what I've heard called "synchronicites," i.e. coincidences that are just too coincidental. It's as if your thought processes and the flow of the world are coming more into confluence.

It’s 2011 and I have just read this post.

Synchronicites, I didn’t know there was a word to describe these experiences.

This happens to me all the time, a few examples:

I got a one year old Beagle from a friend. The dog had health and training issues. I went to a natural dog food store. I discussed my dog’s problems with the storeowner. Days after, I ran into the storeowner at the bank. Later, I ran into her at the Dog Park. I ran into her at an ATM. I ran into her at the market. There were other chance meetings. I actually thought I was being stocked, she may have felt the same way. Each time we talked about my dog. This occurred over several months. The dogs health and other issues got much better. Even though I go to the same places I haven’t seen the storeowner again. She was coincidently there several times when I needed her. I wondered, if according to Shunryu Suzuki “Things go the way the mind goes” was it mine, the storeowner’s or the dog’s mind making this happen.

Are there three (or more) minds?

My friend’s father had to be moved into a care facility, that I recommended. He went in July 1. My mother is in a different care facility, same owners. The two care facilities come together for a Christmas Party for the families. I had never met my friend’s father, but I could feel him reaching out to me. I literally had to drag my friend to the Christmas Party. I met my friend’s father there. He had and my mother has Alzheimer's Disease. At the party I found out that my friend had not visited his father since he had come to the care facility. All was good at the Party. My friend’s father passed away peacefully less than two days later. Everyone I have told this story too, except my friend, has said the father was waiting to see his only son before leaving.

I've witnessed that happening on more than one ocassion.

be

One of the things you find, as you travel along a path toward greater awareness, is you begin frequently experiencing what I've heard called "synchronicites," i.e. coincidences that are just too coincidental. It's as if your thought processes and the flow of the world are coming more into confluence.

I got a one year old Beagle from a friend. The dog had health and training issues. I went to a natural dog food store. I discussed my dog’s problems with the storeowner. Days after, I ran into the storeowner at the bank. Later, I ran into her at the Dog Park. I ran into her at an ATM. I ran into her at the market. There were other chance meetings. I actually thought I was being stocked, she may have felt the same way. Each time we talked about my dog. This occurred over several months. The dogs health and other issues got much better. Even though I go to the same places I haven’t seen the storeowner again. She was coincidently there several times when I needed her. I wondered, if according to Shunryu Suzuki “Things go the way the mind goes” was it mine, the storeowner’s or the dog’s mind making this happen.

There were at least two minds involved, and I threw in my dogs mind as a possibility. I had the feeling that I wasn't the one making the coincidental meetings happen. I suspected it was the dog food storeowner. I thought maybe there was a little more to her than we discussed.

There were at least two minds involved, and I threw in my dogs mind as a possibility. I had the feeling that I wasn't the one making the coincidental meetings happen. I suspected it was the dog food storeowner. I thought maybe there was a little more to her than we discussed.

Although it can't be grasped logically, there is only one mind. We touch on feeling or even knowing that when synchronistic situations occur like you described.

be

Although it can't be grasped logically, there is only one mind. We touch on feeling or even knowing that when synchronistic situations occur like you described.

be

Brian,

Your perception and insight is incredible.

Sharing experiences with you is inspiring.

Your thoughts lead me to more questions.

If you have the time, please expand the concept of only one mind.

Thank you.

"One mind" is not a concept and therefore cannot be expanded upon.

Or to put it differently, the more you think about one mind the farther you wander from it.

To get to know the reality of one mind, a good approach is to put your mind in a state of pondering, and allow it to remain there.

As often as possible, ask your self a "good" question, like "Who am I"? Paying special attention to the quality of your mind just as the question finishes, before you begin to think of an answer.

Or ponder this gem from Huang Po:

"Nothing is born, nothing is destroyed. Away with your dualism, your likes and dislikes. Every single thing is just the One Mind."

be

Thank you.

Or to put it differently, the more you think about one mind the farther you wander from it.

To get to know the reality of one mind, a good approach is to put your mind in a state of pondering, and allow it to remain there.

As often as possible, ask your self a "good" question, like "Who am I"? Paying special attention to the quality of your mind just as the question finishes, before you begin to think of an answer.

"Nothing is born, nothing is destroyed. Away with your dualism, your likes and dislikes. Every single thing is just the One Mind."

be

Brian,

Thank you for taking the time to respond. I won’t think about the one mind.

I continue to have coincidental experiences. There seems to be a theme developing. My path keeps crossing humble professionals who have a deep spiritual side, like you.

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you.

be

The selection is taken from John Blofeld’s introduction to his new rendering of this ninth-century Chinese Buddhist classic.

The Zen Teaching of Huang Po

”On the Transmission of Mind”

If Huang Po's philosophy can be put into words

(which he repeatedly says it cannot),

Huang Po’s use of the term “the One Mind

The text indicates that Huang Po was not entirely satisfied with his choice of the word “Mind” to symbolize the

inexpressible Reality beyond the reach of conceptual thought, for he more than once explains that

“the One Mind” is not really MIND at all.

But he had to use some term or other, and “Mind” had not often been used by his predecessors.

As Mind conveys intangibility, it no doubt seemed to him a good choice, especially as the use of this term helps to make it

clear that the part of a man usually regarded as an individual entity inhabiting his body is, in fact, not his property at all,

but common to him and to everybody and everything else.

And, of course, “the One Mind” is no less misleading, unless we abandon all preconceived ideas,

as Huang Po intended.

In an earlier translation of the first part of this book, I ventured to substitute “Universal Mind” for

“the One Mind,” hoping that the meaning would be clearer.

However, I have come to see that my term is liable to a different misunderstanding; it is therefore no improvement on

“the One Mind,” which at least has the merit of being a literal translation.

• 1 month later...