Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

M-14 Scope Mount

Brian Payne

I've got several ex-military M-14's for my Police Department. I would like to outfit one of them with a scope to see how it does. What would be the best scope mount to use?

Any expert advice appreciated.

Just to add - this gun will not be used for competition, just using it as a backup longgun for the department.

Edited by Sgt

I've got several ex-military M-14's for my Police Department. I would like to outfit one of them with a scope to see how it does. What would be the best scope mount to use?

Any expert advice appreciated.

Just to add - this gun will not be used for competition, just using it as a backup longgun for the department.

I'm not really an expert, but the only mount I'd use that I have tried is the ARMS #18. It is rock solid and the scope returns to zero time after time. Before it I have tried 2 different Springfield mounts and was not pleased with either. HTH

Mike

Assuming you're not going to issue the gun to an individual officer who can train with it and geet it dialed in as true "long range" weapon, you probably dont really need, or for that matter want a high magnification scope that would require the kind of reciever mount that has been recommended. A big scope without the necessary modifications to make the gun group well is pointless. The services of a gun smith would probably be necessary to get a rack grade M-14 to shoot better that 3 moa or so and it would require a dedicated shooter to maintain that work and keep the gun predictable and reliable enough for duty use. Also, the reciever mounts put the scope high enough that you have to use a cheek rest or stock with an adjustable comb, to get your head up where it needs to be to do proper precision work. The M-14 is just not a great platform for scoping....not that it cant be done, but its an uphill battle to put it together and then more work to maintain.

If you really want glass, I think a better solution would be to get one of the barrel "scout" style mounts. These mounts will take a EoTech, Aimpoint, or 2.5x leupold scout scope, and a few models of handgun scopes that have the proper eye relief. These sights are more appropriate for the realistic distances your officers are likely to use it for and for the mechanical accuracy of the guns in stock condition.

I have a scout mounted EoTech on my M1A scout model (18 inch barrel). With the dot its super fast out to 100 yards, and you're good to go on paper and poppers out 200. Past there things get a little hinky, but its more an issue with what I can see rather than where the gun puts the bullets. I've dont some light tuning on the gun (NM Spring Guide, and I shimmed the gas cylinder) and it will shoot 1.5 moa or so with match ammo, or 2.5 - 3 moa with surplus. I've been thinking of trying the 2.5x leupold just to see if the speed accuracy trade off with the dot is a good one or not.