Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Not A Darn Thing To Do With Revlovers...

haras

Quick, :o before the forum host moves this. I need input on buying "snow" tires for my daughter's car. She just started law school in, of all places, Buffalo NY. Yes, the snow capitol of the US.

Question is what makes the most sense. Buy tires and an extra set of rims or just the tires and have them swapped every 6 months? Is that stupid? I've never spent more than 5 days that far north and only have to worry about pot holes around here.

Should I just get her one set of good tires and let her drive year round? I have to manage this long distant. :wacko: Any recomendations of tire (Honda civic)? :unsure:

My former girlfriend lives in downtown Buffalo. She drives a car (no 4wd) and she - and most of the other people up there - use decent all weather tires. I've driven up there in snow varying from 4 inches to 4 feet (roads had been plowed) and I never used more than good all weather tires.

My former girlfriend lives in downtown Buffalo. She drives a car (no 4wd) and she - and most of the other people up there - use decent all weather tires. I've driven up there in snow varying from 4 inches to 4 feet (roads had been plowed) and I never used more than good all weather tires.

+1. I was stationed in the Finger Lakes area during some of the biggest snow falls of the last century.

Once you get your car dug out of its parking space you'll do just fine with a good set of all-season radials on your front wheel drive car. If that won't cut it she needs to stay home, because the snow will be too deep for the undercarriage of a Civic to clear.

Once the roads are plowed/salted driving isn’t a problem. You may need to keep a snow shovel in the house so you can dig your way out to the street, but driving on it won’t be an issue.

I run snow tires in the winter to get to the ski slopes around here. An extra set of rims sure makes it easy, you can probably estimate the hassle of remounting tires twice a year without spare rims.

Snow tires are much better than standard all-seasons in snow and ice. They're not a gimmick, but they generally only last 12,000 miles.

I do keep cable type chains in my car in case I need emergency traction. Sand and a shovel are also a standard part of my kit.

I tend to agree with Waltermitty. If you can drive the Honda at all, a set of all-season radials with good tread will work. I've always lived in climates that receive a fair bit of snow, and I haven't seen a set of snow tires on a car in a long time.

I, too, have never run winter tires on anything I own and I live in the country, sort of, and am usually one of the last roads to be plowed out after a big snow. Sometimes it's a challenge to get up my hill then but if it's going to be that bad, I will just take the truck.

I do know folks that run Blizzak winter tires and they swear they are the best. They're not cheap, though. http://www.tirerack.com/winter/tech/techpage.jsp?techid=116

All season radials, a bag of play sand or two in trunk. The weight in trunk helps with spin outs on ice. Plus if you get stuck on ice patch like a slight incline the sand in front or behind tires will usually get you off the spot. Worst scenarios is hitting ice on overpasses. If you start to spin do not get off the gas completely, ease off gas, don't hit brakes and try and keep the car going. Also explain to her to come into intersections slow. They can also be icy, seen many unaware driver slide right through red lights.

Quick, :o before the forum host moves this. I need input on buying "snow" tires for my daughter's car. She just started law school in, of all places, Buffalo NY. Yes, the snow capitol of the US.

Question is what makes the most sense. Buy tires and an extra set of rims or just the tires and have them swapped every 6 months? Is that stupid? I've never spent more than 5 days that far north and only have to worry about pot holes around here.

Should I just get her one set of good tires and let her drive year round? I have to manage this long distant. :wacko: Any recomendations of tire (Honda civic)? :unsure:

I have lived in Snow country all my life, so far.

Her car is front wheel drive so a good all weather radial like Michelin or Pirelli wil do all she wants it to do. http://www.michelinman.com/overview/x_radial_dt/1722.html

As for the sand, it is a good idea but not useful except if she gets stuck. Driving tips aside, she should also make sure her cell is charged at all times or have one of the new Energizer Cell batteries in the car, a good flashlight, a blanket, small shovel, and the telephone number of her auto club programmed into the telephone (AAA membership is a great Christmas gift)

AAA puts out a book for snow driving etc. If you are not a member, send me a message and I will get her one.

Last advice I can give is don't worry, she'll be fine. They are used to handling snow in that area and as long as she drives carefully and treats the roads live they are slick, she will do OK. Tell her to watch out for Black Ice in the early AM hours.

regards,

I'll dissent here ;) I started using snows when I was in Marquette (MI's UP) for college. Two cars later and I'm still using them... I've used pirelli's, and two pair of dunlops. I'm actually on a set of dunlop wintersport M3's now that I bought last fall. Yes, I've committed the great evil of driving on snows year-round but to be honest in 250,000 miles or so on three cars I've not had a problem keeping them on.

I also work in public safety and prefer to get to the department vs shoveling or thumbing a pull out of a snowbank. FWIW, Michigan State Police uses Goodyear snows on their cruisers as well. If you don't have the option to stay at home, they can be useful.