Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Beginners AR Tips

Nik Habicht

I have to disagree, aty least for my own shooting.  I have lost no speed on closer targets using a skinny front sight.  If anything, I think skinny posts are faster up close as well.  

With a skinny post you spend less time figuring out where the tip of the post actually is b/c it is so much smaller.  With a huge post, I tend to stare at it trying to figure out where the bullet will strike on the tip of the post.  With the skinny post, I just put it on the target and shoot - no need to worry if that 75 yard was an A or a C if the post was on the A, it was an A.

Well this just shows that rifle setup is a very individual thing. There's not always a right and wrong way. What works for one shooter may not be good for another.

As a side note,  my limited rifle is also equipped with an Ashley Outdoors same plane rear sight. Anyone else using these? It seems to be quite an improvement over the A2.

I agree.  Particularly w/ iron sights which depend a great deal on one's vision.

I have tried the ashley outdoor same plane sight.  It's much better than an A2 but I think the apertures are too large.

Kelly,

I recently had the opportunity to try the "point with weak hand index finger" tip in a live fire situation.  It only felt odd for a few rounds and very natural by the second magazine (we are limited to 5 rounders in the Great White North).  Maybe it's all mental but I felt more confident as I indexed to the next target.

Thanks very much for the tip.

Cheers,

Ross