Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ms Excel Formulas

Is there anyone out there who is good with creating MS Excel formulas. I would like to make a couple for a spreadsheet for calculations like averages. However, I have tried and get answers I know to be incorrect. Also, I know there is a way to create a formula to work for an entire row but cant seem to get that either. Please help.

Adam

Well, are you aware of the coordinate system that Excel uses? Along the top (columns) are letters, A, B, C, etc... and along the left side (rows) there are numbers 1, 2, 3... These identify each cell, A1, C2, etc...

If you want to average a series of cells, place the cursor in the cell where you'd like the average to appear, and use the =AVERAGE() function.

Excel functions begin with = and this is important.

So in an example where you have 10 numbers in row 1, choose a blank cell and type =AVERAGE(A1:J1). When you hit enter, the average will appear in the cell. So =AVERAGE() is the function, A1 is the first cell, J1 is the last cell, and the : (colon) means 'through'. A1:J1 can be read A1 through J1.

The previous example also works for columns, if your data is column A then =AVERAGE(A1:A10) would work for this new layout.

Also, you may find you want to average cells that aren't adjacent, for instance cells A1, B3, D5, and B5. Since these cells are adjacent, the : (colon) won't work. For this situation, use ; (semicolon). So to solve the example you'd use =AVERAGE(A1;B3;D5;B5)

You'll also find =SUM() to be useful, it works pretty much like =AVERAGE() if you understand that concept now.

Good luck.

I guess I should provide a little more info. I am trying to accomplish the following.

1) info from I2 divided by K2 and then I3 divided by K3 etc.

2) P2+Q2 divided by 2 and etc

Adam

Edited by galt11

So, in LS you'd have =I2/K2. You also need to format L2 for percentages. Left-click once on L2, then hit Cntrl+F1, and then format the cell to percentages.

Now, if you have data in the I and K columns (I3/K3, I4/K4, etc.) - left-click on L2 to highlight it, then place your mouse pointed on the bottom right corner (it will turn to a crosshair), left-click and hold, then drag down the L column to the end of your data in columns I & K. This will copy the formula and format of L2.

I guess I should provide a little more info. I am trying to accomplish the following.

1) info from I2 divided by K2 and then I3 divided by K3 etc.

2) P2+Q2 divided by 2 and etc

Adam

1. =(I2/K2) the copy and paste to all the cell you want divided.

2. =(p2+q2)/2

lynn

p.s. i can send you sample spread sheet if you want.