Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

At What Point Should Trigger Reset Be Felt?

A-shot

Don't worry about feeling the reset. Just train yourself to get off the trigger the instant the front sight lifts and prep it again before the sight comes back down. Prep it with 50-75% of the break weight.

When the gun has settled back down.

+1. It's different depending on the gun (my G34 resets MUCH differently than a $3000 STI)

I reset my trigger differently given the type of sight picture needed for my next shot.

I wasn't really a believer in prep until Manny Bragg was able to show me the light......

He taught us to prep the trigger ASAP so that the very second the shot lined up well enough to take you take it. It worked out to be something along the lines of 'seeing what you need to see, nothing more and nothing less', the trigger was prepped and the last pound or two could be broken almost instantly when you were able to see enough to take the next shot. It applies to transitions as well as splits in the context I was given.

• 2 weeks later...

Depends on the shot. On a long, tight shot, I'll do a deliberate reset as part of the follow-through, to ensure a hit. On closer, easier shots, I'll eke out the extra speed available by getting off the trigger as soon as the sights lift.

Just like seeing what you need to see, feel what you need to feel on the trigger, in order to make the shot.

I learned from Manny also. Prep as soon as sight lifts. I learned to do it sitting in fron of the TV at night doing it over and over until I knew just when there was enough pressure on the trigger without dropping the hammer. It takes some practice.