Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2 personal bests in 1 practice

ErikW

I got so pissed off when my Break-More sight broke and ended my practice session a couple weeks ago, I forgot about this...

I set a new personal best reload time, 1.23. What was even cooler was seeing the old mag falling out of the gun as I was about to insert the fresh mag.

I set a new personal best split time, .11. Limited gun, Major ammo.

Both personal bests were only .01 faster than previous bests.

I need to come up with a benchmark target presentation to measure index times, which are far more important than splits.

What I mean is index times will vary greatly depending on the target presentation. Two targets edge to edge will produce index times in the teens for me at 5-10 yards. But separate those targets by several feet or yards and the index times go up.

I need some kind of benchmark target array to measure my index times, just as a Bill Drill is benchmark for measuring splits. As I find near-to-each-other targets easy to index and get quick times, I guess I should try for something with more separation.

One think I do in practice is mix the target spacing in an array. Like an El Prez, with two of the targets edge-to-edge or overlapping.

Erik:

I have been tracking my target index times every month using the set up from Matt Burkett's manual. It's simply two IPSC targets five yards apart edge to edge, one at 7 yards and one at 15 yards. It is amazing how much longer it takes me to go from 7 to 15 than the other way around.