Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Texas Star Where Do You Get One?

PHolsted

Our club bought an original Texas Star at the back to back nationals. We use it about 4x a year, maybe 5.

It is fun, but lioke so many props, it can be over used or poorly used.

It is a definate challenge. In some respects it is better used as a training aid for engaging rapidly moving targets as opposed to a match prop.

What we generally do is to set ours up so that it requires some earlier action to start it moving. THis usually consists of a drop weight and an activator stick that is pulled by shooting a popper or opening a port. One of our people recently set up a shotgun stage where you shot a large steel plate out of a port from "Box A", the plate tripped the star and you got to engage it only after moving to the previoiusly blocked port. there was nowhere else you could see it from.

As an aside, there are currently several other brands of star on the market. I think MGM has one. Make sure you get a spares kit when you buy your star. The springs last a long time, but sooner or later, you will need to replace them.

Jim

It is a definate challenge. In some respects it is better used as a training aid for engaging rapidly moving targets as opposed to a match prop.

Yep.

As an aside, there are currently several other brands of star on the market. I think MGM has one. Make sure you get a spares kit when you buy your star. The springs last a long time, but sooner or later, you will need to replace them.

The Ashtons provided a box full of spare springs with the star. They also offer a kit with an extra arm and plate (I think) for backup.

Here are a couple of things to think about when you're considering which star to buy.

1. Terry weighs and balances each arm and each plate.

2. The spare springs are included.

3. Other than the head, the Original Texas Star doesn't weigh much. I can pick up and walk with the head.

4. The Original Texas Star comes with variable spring sets. It can be set for .22, full-house open/limited rounds, 12-guage and even cowboy loads. BTW, the SASS clubs love them.

5. Depending on where you live, the Ashtons will deliver.

My home club is the Ashtons' home club. We still have the original Original Texas Star. It's nearly 8 years old and still running strong.

If you do a search on Texas Star here, you will find a lot of material.

Liota

Edited by Liota