Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Benelli won't cycle!!

PaulW

Ok, here's the problem.  Benelli super 90....use to shoot anything, except real weak loads of course.  Now it won't cycle hardly anything, even 00 buck.  Most of the time it tries, or does, rechamber the empty shell.  Which means it's not cycling back far enough?  Anyone have any ideas?

If we can get it to cycle, can you get a super 90 to cycle with standard 7 1/2 to 8 loads?  Thats all we can really use for 3 gun matches here in Central Florida.

Strip and clean according to the manual.  I never got mine to cycle with skeet/trap loads, but others apparently can/have.  You cannot let it float on your shoulder, you must lean into it and take the recoil.  Even then, mine choked too often.

If it still won't work, I'll be happy to take it off your hands for the value in parts, say $100.

A couple things to look for:

Benellis like a lot of oil

Have you added anything?The heavier they get the less they work.

Does it have a side saddle or speed loader bracket? The screw could be too tight binding the receiver.

My gun was a little finicky and I replaced the spring inside the bolt and it works great now.

You can also put Wolff reduced power recoil and hammer springs in.Mine works with heavy trap loads and Federal tactical slugs and buck. I have been told the more they break in the better they work.

Bill Hearne

No the gun has no add on's.  Stock as can be.  Reduced power springs, thats sounds interesting.  I'll have to look into that one.  

$110....plus shipping and handing.

Try replacing the spring in the bolt with a fresh one if nothing has been changed. You can get it from Brownells under the benelli replacement parts. If all fails call Benelli.(last resort)

One other thing to check ---make sure your forearm nut is tight and if the gun has been disasembled check that the washers(? can't remember exactly what's in there without looking) in the forearm are in the correct position according to a manual.

I'm curious: how old is this Super 90? I have one that's about a year old and it works fine with anything from slugs to 00 to #6 -- haven't tried #7 or smaller, though. I also only shoot 2-3/4" shells. Are you shooting 3" shells?

I've heard that older 90's tend to be more persnickety than the newer ones. In any case, I'd definitely make sure the bolt cycles smoothly.

Since the Super 90 is recoil-operated, Bill's comment about replacing the bolt recoil spring sounds like a good idea, especially if it's an older 90. And being liberal with the lube also sounds like a good suggestion, although I haven't had to grease mine up too much.

I picked up an early "preban" M-1 Super 90 for limited 3 gun. After putting in a Wolff 25% reduced power recoil spring all my cycling problems went away. I use Remington reduced recoil slugs and PMC 3 dram, ounce 1/8, #8's for steel. I also stopped using the Tac-Star side saddle and went with a Buchanon Bagworks 8 round nylon shell holder, works great and doesn't affect cycling.

Apparently older Benellis were sprung for heavy slug and buckshot loads, new ones are a bit more forgiving but still require breaking in and lubrication.

The Benelli I replaced the bolt (inertia) spring in was an older preban gun. I think they have made some minor changes since. Use a light oil on the gun. My favorite for everything is Militec.Good stuff!

I have both a Super Black Eagle and an M1 Super 90 Field (HK label).  Both work superbly with the Winchester Light Handicap loads for clays, or steel, and of course cycle rifled slugs without issue.

If it worked before and doesn't work now, a complete strip down using lubricant removing cleaners, plus replacement of any fatigued springs is a good idea.  Gnetly polish the the bolt holder track, clean again and then lube with a light oil on the track only.  You may do a wipedown on the rest of the bolt housing, but it should feel dry to the touch.  Benelli oil is quite a bit lighter than other gun oils.

The Benelli is one of the places I probably wouldn't use a heavy lube or slide-glide type offering.  The mechanics of its inertia system need to minimize the resistance to movement as much as possible.

Hope this helps.

Ross

We have cleaned it (i say we, it's a friends shotgun), and we are going to put in one of wollf reduced power springs and see what happens.  It was pretty dirty, and he had used lots of oil trying to get it to work.  Stay tuned....