Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Surviving the FGN

I'm just glad I survived the weather in Barry for the FGN.  A heat index of 105+ is not conducive to staying upright and ambulatory, let alone shooting well.

As icing on the cake, 4th Revolver and I beat Jerry on a Stage.  (Heck I was high revolver on that stage!)

I had an insight into just how fast Jerry is with a wheelgun.  On the stage with the fast movers by the window(#12?), he was talking about hitting the other targets and activator, then reloading and getting as many hits as possible before the mover disappeared.  A strategy I might attempt with a 1911, but not a 625.

But, he's Jerry.

I agree.  The heat was rough.  I'm from Atlanta and it was getting to me.  I underestimated on fluids and ending up drinking half of what I took for the whole trip, the first half day of shooting; then still had a headache that night which told me I hadn't drank enough still.   Needless to say I ended up buying more water and drinks while out there.  Up on the hill was especially bad due to the lack of shade.  Congrats on your finish and for taking Jerry to school, and winning that one stage.

Nice finish Patrick!  I was happy to see your name up at the top of your division.  You must have done some real smokin'.   Winning a stage at the Nationals is a major achievement.

A new job kept me from getting to Barry this year, but I can imagine the the heat and humidity were something else.  

Congratulations!   -Sam

Thanks.  I was pleased at most of the stage designs, very few really kicked us wheelgunners in the shorts.  #13 was one of them, with shooting ports/locations of 4,6,4,5 and 8 rounds.  No way around it, all us revolver maniacs had to do a standing reload.

When I would finish an enduro (grueling motorcycle race in the woods, about 5 hours long) at least they'd give me a finisher's pin.

Anybody who came out of Barry without an IV in their arm, without dropping their gun from their sweaty hands, without passing out after a stage, without puking, deserves congratulations.

I'll be torn if they have a match there during the summer again.