Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Flying With Guns?

Ok so I know that I can fly with a gun and all the things I need to have/do to comply with FAA regs. However, there is one question that I just dont know where to look for the answer.

Should I clean my gun extremely well before flying?

I know it is a bad idea to clean before a match, but what about the super-strict security we have now? I dont want to legally check my gun only to have them quarentine it for days or worse dipose of it thinking it is a bomb. I am just a littlr concerned about powder residue. If anyone can share expieriance/ideas/suggestions/thoughts it would be helpful.

TIA

Austin

Bad idea to clean a gun before the match? I finally found someone more superstitious than me :D

Tsa seem to be pretty sophisticated when it comes to solvents and gun powder residue, i talked to the tsa agent swabbing my bag and he said the machine can tell the difference.

A friend of mine is a mining engineer and he says he gets flagged all the time for weird residue, being aroung explosives i guess.

I usually take them to matches with a hundred or so rounds on them, and come back with several hundred on them, but never had a problem with it. I'll use my range-bag as carry-on as well sometimes (checking carefully for loose ammo several times). They swabbed it once and it came up ok.

I've been swabbed numerous times, and the only time it came up positive was in Bend, Oregon when they swabbed the inside of my luggage (no xray, everything was done by hand at that airport which was a one gate puddlehopper feeder to Portland and Seattle). The TSA functionary doing the swabing had already set my gun out on the table so she knew what was up. There was no problem, but the positive findingmeant they had to do a detailed hand check of all my luggage, and record the positive finding in a book. The extra time was somewhere between 5 and 10 minutes. More recently, the Germans were particularly interested in swabbing my laptop keyboard - I guess terrorists must check the bomb recipies on-line while building their devices. This was at the checkpoint inside the sterile area to get to the "US destination" gates which I believe must reach a specific standard to be accepted as feeders by the TSA. The only reason I don't ditch my LTC when traveling out of country is to have some evidence there could be a reasonable explaination for a positive swabbing if one should occur.

Ditch your LTC when traveling? :o

That's the only form of ID I use when traveling. It lets those with grey matter know I'm a good guy and befuddles the bufoons. :)

Plus I have proof for the people who are convinced that an ordinary citizen cannot legally possess a firearm in MA. :rolleyes: