Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Open Shotgun Questions

lcarr

I have a couple of questions about Open shotguns.  First, with the new 10 + 1 limit for open, who makes +6 tubes for Remington 11-87s?  I looked around a little on the web last night, but all I found were +5 tubes from Choate and Tacstar.

Second, about sights, I have a Docter sight that seems like it would work well on a shotgun, but I'm unsure about how to mount it.  

I saw a picture of Michael Voigt's receiver-mounted Optima, but it seems to me, prima facie, that that position would be a little far back.  Doing  a little experimentation last night, it looks like the "perfect" position would be right in front of the forcing cone on the barrel.  

It appears I could get close to that with a Remington cantilever scope mount barrel, but would that place the sight too high?  Would it be better to get it mounted down on the barrel the way, I think, JP is doing it?  Or would it be better to have it back on the receiver as on Voigt's gun?  

Also, it seems like it would be better to have the sight on the barrel since the barrel to receiver fit on shotguns has a little play.  Is this true or does it not really matter?

Thanks,

Lincoln

Lincoln,

Back when we were all pasting Richard's steel with slugs (and our shoulders, too) at Second Chance, the hot setup was a scope or dot mounted on the barrel.  The Remington rib is secure enough to drill and tap and mount a weaver base right to it.  You might find that a little high, but some foam padding on the stock would raise your eye and dampen felt recoil, too.  (Brownells has several thicknesses.)

I've shot with a bead for years, but I think I'm just going to have to go with a dot for Open.

And yes, a receiver-mounted scope can have wandering zero problems when you remove the barrel for cleaning.  Cleaning at SC was an every night routine, so most guys went with a barrel mount to avoid the need for re-zeroing each morning.

I think most +5 tubes will get you to ten rounds.

I believe that Mike Voight did a lot of experimentation on where to put the optima on his shotgun-  on the barrel, on the front of the receiver, towards the rear of the receiver.   The really trick thing about his set-up is that you don't need to pick your face up off the stock.   You can get a really good cheek weld. The optima is mounted nearly (or exactly ??) in the same place as the rear sight for a ghost-ring gun.  I use an Aimpoint and have to pad the stock as Patrick mentioned.  I think the shotgun kicks you around a bit more when you have to lift your head up off the stock.  A good rule of thumb in 3 gun is to do whatever Mike Voight does.  He has the time, skill, and ability to experiment around alot more than I do.  However, if you are more comfortable w/ the sight mounted farther forward then go w/ that.  My Aimpoint is receiver mounted and I like it as far forward as my weaver rail allows.

I have had some wandering zero problems lately - during the slug stage at the 3 gun natl. my 1187 decided to shoot about 7 inches high.  Not pretty.

Quote: from kellyn on 5:15 pm on July 19, 2001

The really trick thing about his set-up is that you don't need to pick your face up off the stock.   You can get a really good cheek weld. The optima is mounted nearly (or exactly ??) in the same place as the rear sight for a ghost-ring gun.  I use an Aimpoint and have to pad the stock as Patrick mentioned.  I think the shotgun kicks you around a bit more when you have to lift your head up off the stock

That's one of the reasons why I was concerned with using one of the various rails, e.g., the cantilever barrel, Vang Comp's vent rib weaver rail, etc.  After this feedback, I think I'm going to try the JP mount.  I e-mailed them asking if they would do it with a Docter, which I like better and already own, rather than an Optima.

Thanks,

Lincoln

Quote: from lcarr on 8:41 pm on July 19, 2001[brAfter this feedback, I think I'm going to try the JP mount.  I e-mailed them asking if they would do it with a Docter, which I like better and already own, rather than an Optima.

As an update to share with everyone, I just got e-mail from JP saying that they only make an adapter for the Optima and that they don't think the Docter has the same footprint.  So, it looks like one has to go with an Optima if one wants a JP "melt in" installation.

Lincoln

One other issue your may want to think about is how you hold the gun during a reload.  I hold the gun by the barrel right in front of the receiver as it feels like the best balance point.  Because of this I had to put my Holosight about 3-4 inches down the barrel so I wouldn't crash into it when spinning the gun over to reoald.