Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lot Variations With Hs6?

blkbrd

I have been having some weird chrono readings with HS-6: I used to get to 168PF with 8.1gr. now a new batch/lot I am having to bump to 8.45 to get the same PF. :huh:

I have seen small changes with other powders but I guess you really have to watch HS6 batch variations.

I am using individual pounds as I can get them locally cheap, but looks like I am going to have to buy an 8lb.er.

9mm Major-125 Zero JHP-WSR-1.16"-mixed, Bedell shorty with holes.

Note; This is also a warning as it could go both ways? :(

Hi Blackbird,

I have been using HS-6 since February to create major 9mm loads that I fire from my shorty race gun. I, too, purchase HS-6 in one pound containers. I have not noticed any wide velocity variations with them, though. They powder lots are pretty consistent for me.

HS-6 is a good powder but I have been experimenting with AA7 and N340 to make major and I like them both better. Of the two, I prefer AA7.

I have much more upward dot movement with HS-6.

BTW, what recoil spring weight do you use for your Bedell shorty? Did you also try your shorty without blow holes and then add them, or did you always have them? I want to see whether they make a difference in recoil suppression.

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Edited by surfmaster

I must have gotten 4 cans from the same lot and the last pound must have been from a different lot. My PF went from 169 up to 174. I thought that was a lot. I'm still in the same case of primers. I've burned that pound and have started into the 8# can and obviously need to chrono again. Had it been the other way around I would have gone minor at A8.

I must have gotten 4 cans from the same lot and the last pound must have been from a different lot. My PF went from 169 up to 174. I thought that was a lot. I'm still in the same case of primers. I've burned that pound and have started into the 8# can and obviously need to chrono again. Had it been the other way around I would have gone minor at A8.

Hs-6 will vary from lot to lot for sure. Many others will too. The cans shouldl be marked as to the lot number. When I order any powder that requires more than one container I always ask them to ship the same lot. Powder Valley has been very good with this request. Old John