Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mainspring housing spring

Lex

Dear friends,

Just would like to seek for your advice.. Is it true that if you have a lighter mainspring housing spring, is that it will aid in lowering your trigger pull? second, will it also aid in reducing the recoil impulse when the gun cycles backwards?  What are the drawbacks if you clip or lighten your MS housing spring? Thanks and hope to hear from your advices..

Lex - DVC

Lex,

what are you running now and in what gun?

I use a 19lb that has not been cut. Some of the guys will run a 17lb. The key is that it is strong enough to detonate the primer everytime.

If you have a stainless steel firing pin a 17lb should work. This way the slide has less to push against and will help the gun cycle faster. But this is with a lightned hammer so take that into consideration.

As for trigger pull, I do not think it will make any difference. I have never heard of the mainspring being discussed when talking about trigger pull.

The only time I have seen them cut short was to make it easier to install.

Depending on the geometry of your particular hammer and sear, lightening the hammer spring can affect trigger pull weight. Usually, lightening the hammer spring will lighten the overall trigger pull. I think about 17 lbs is probably about as light as you should go. And, lightening the hammer spring affects the speed and timing of the slide's opening far more than the recoil spring.

In addition, personally, I feel the gun flips less with a lighter hammer spring (and recoil spring).

be