Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Guy Here With

Topmaul

Let me Introduce myself, my first name is John, and I'm an active duty E-8 in the US Coast Guard and former Marine. I have been shooting all my life, about 3 years ago I started shooting competitively, first at tactical shotgun matches at our local gun club then 3 gun a bit, I still prefer the shotgun, I plan to get serious into IDPA this winter, to stay sharp.

I really don't understand the alphabet Soup of shooting organizations could someone please give me the readers digest condenced version of what each of these organizations please compair and contrast or point me in the right direction.

IDPA is pretty much practical pistol I kinda figured that.

USPSA -

IPSC -

TSA -

Then the divisions really confuse me

Open

Limited

Tactical

Tactical optic

He Man

the list goes on and on is there a book or manual which will help me make sense of it all

Thanks for your understanding and help.

John,

Welcome aboard. I can explain a few for you.

IDPA - International Defensive Pistol Association (IDPA site)

USPSA - United States Practical Shooting Association (US region of IPSC)

IPSC - International Practical Shooting Confederation

Open and Limited are divisions within the USPSA handgun sport (also have Limited 10, Production and Revolver)

I urge you to read/learn more about the sport from the material on the USPSA web site.

The appendix in the rule book will detail all of the divisions for you.

Hi John!

IDPA and IPSC are both practical pistol games. Different rulesets, different equipment, but both are practical pistol. USPSA is the US arm of the international IPSC organization.

Open, Limited, Limited-10, Production, and Revolver are the equipment divisions of USPSA. Open is red dot optics, compensation, very high capacity magazines, "race" equipment. Limited is no red dots, no compensation, high capacity, "race" equipment. Limited-10 is basically Limited with a rule limiting magazines to 10 rounds - great for pistols with few competitive accessories available or where state laws are restrictive. Production is for basically "out-of-box" double action guns. Revolvers is for revolvers.

For most 3-Gun competitions the various organizations and non-affiliated matches tend to use the terms to mean - Tactical means rifle with iron sights, Tactical Optic is rifle with a single scope, He-Man is restricted to large caliber rifles and typically pump shotguns. You would need to consult the specific rules for the competition you plan to play in. For example - the USPSA offers another class Open Rifle - anything goes and you can have multiple scopes ( ?x Optice and a red dot).

Hope that clears at least some of it up for you. The best thing would be to download the rulebooks from the IDPA and USPSA websites and read them.

I did the same thing, downloaded both rulebooks, and made my determination from there. I liked the freedom to shoot the stage as I see fit (for most) in USPSA over IDPA. Others swear by IDPA. I would probably be called a gamer if I shot IDPA. I'm probably still called a gamer in USPSA, but for me it IS a game.

The reason I chose USPSA? It allows for creativity.

John;

I did the same thing when deciding on a handgun sport. I read all of the rulebooks.

Then I found a USPSA match locally. It's 3 years later and I'm at my 1st USPSA Handgun Nationals, in Quincy, IL.

Find a local match & talk to some shooters.

Where are you located? I'm sure that there is something near.

I was Navy, Submarine sailor.

Good luck Chief.

Ed