Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm Major!

ALF

I just got some HS-6 and AA #7 but been to busy to make any ammo.

check Lymans 48th for data.

willing to bet recoil will be stout

Jeff Maas pdf has some info looks like some people prefer AA #5.

I am more interested in how it works with 147gr bullets

your probably going to be using charge heavy charge weights AA powders seem to always be high charge weights while other powders can do it with less.

You will never get enough AA7 in a 9x19 case to get a 124 to major. I use 10.8 grains of it under a 124 in .38 stupor. 10.8 grains of AA7 is overflowing the top of a 9mm case!

I tried AA7 when I was doing load development for 9x21 major (same as 9x19 for all our purposes). It worked OK under a 147 and got to major with 7.8 grains for me (please DO NOT just duplicate this data, WORK IT UP), but a 147 was not where I wanted to go.

Under a 130 grain or lighter bullet, AA7 is a Total Loser unless you have a big case volume. I hit the wall on a compressed charge issue under the 124 way before I got the velocity needed for major in the 9x case.

If I could have loaded long (1.25") I MIGHT have gotten there, but at the 1.155" limit for Glock magazines I just couldn't get anywhere enough powder in the case. I ran an extrapolation on case length needed and decided that even at longer OAL's AA7 was better left for a much longer case like the .38 souper.

HS6 is a MUCH better choice under a 124 grainer in a case as small as the neener. AA7 is just too slow in a small case. AA5 is definitely a workable choice under a 124 if you want to use AA powder.

BTW, I settled on HS6 under a 124 loaded to 1.135" for my 9x major loading and 3 years later I am still preferring it.

It seems that I have to use HS6 for making major with My SVI 9X19.

You don't "have" to use HS-6. There are plenty of other powders that will make major, especially with 124g bullets. It does work well and it's not expensive. Longshot, Silhouette, 3N37, N350, and others all make major with 124's.

9-Major Load Data

There is also a chart around here somewhere that summarizes all of the data.

It seems that I have to use HS6 for making major with My SVI 9X19.

You don't "have" to use HS-6. There are plenty of other powders that will make major, especially with 124g bullets. It does work well and it's not expensive. Longshot, Silhouette, 3N37, N350, and others all make major with 124's.

9-Major Load Data

There is also a chart around here somewhere that summarizes all of the data.

Maybe I should explain why I "have" to use HS6 for My loads.

I live in Sweden and over here is my powder of choice for 9 major Vith N350 or Vectan SP2, both powders work well in my SVI. In February will I be in Florida to shoot Florida Open (a great match by the way), and I must have ammo loaded to my specs, because You cant buy 9X19 ammo that makes major as far as I know, and shooting minor is not an option, and dont even think of taking that much ammo on an airplane. It is trouble enough taking a handgun!

The guy that will load the ammo for me says that he does not have acess to Vith N350, so I have to use something else, and the only powder that I can use to make major and is available both in "my neck of the woods"as well as in Arizona is HS6. it is expensive though about $35 for 1lb, over here!

So now have I some work to do, and that is to work up a load in 9 major with HS6 and once fired Fiocchi cases 124gn FMJ bullet and WSR primers.

But if You want to play the game.......! B)

ALF- I understand what you want now. Start at 8.0g and work up to 170pf. If you're interested, it might be easier to ask your friend to buy some N350 (if that's what you like) from Powder Valley. They ship anywhere in the US and they carry most of the VV line. It might cost $45 for a single pound after shipping and hazmat, but if that's what you like, than it may be worth the expense. Keep me in mind. I am going to try to go to the Florida Open this year and I'd be happy to bang out 300 rounds of 9mm with what ever Vhit powder you like. I have most of them on the shelf.

I have been loading my 9mm major ammo using 8.3 grains of HS-6 behind a Montana Gold 124 FMJ. The round works but I find it has lots of upward dot movement.

I recently chronographed some loads with AA7 and N340. I like my new AA7 load better than the HS-6 loads I have been using since February. I chronographed 10.4 grains of AA7 behind a MG 124 CMJ bullet and Federal Small Rifle primers at 170 power factor. This load feels like a push with much less dot movement than the HS-6 load.

I am shooting a shorty 9mm with a 4.75" barrel. I also like the N340 load because the dot goes straight up and back down to the original spot but it hits my hands a littler harder than the AA7 load. I will be sticking with my AA7 load for now. It is possible to use AA7 to make major 9mm, but the powder is relatively close to the rim of the case.

I will be sticking with my AA7 load for now. It is possible to use AA7 to make major 9mm, but the powder is relatively close to the rim of the case.
What OAL ya'using with 10.4 AA7 in a neener? I run 1.25" OAL in .38 souper to get 10.8 grains of AA7 in the case and that's just compressed under a 124. I'll bet that these 9x rounds with 10.4 grains of AA7 in them are pretty heavily compressed loads. Do they grow longer as they sit in their ammo boxes ;-)

Hi George,

The overall length I use for all my major 9mm loads is 1.175". It is certainly a compressed load.

When I had a 38 supercomp, I was using N350 loading to a length of 1.25". I use a 124 grain FMJ bullet with both types of loads.

The overall length I use for all my major 9mm loads is 1.175". It is certainly a compressed load

That certainly is!

I was testing at 1.155" OAL when I was trying AA7 under a 124JHP. I had the rounds pushing back at 9.8 grains and above. I had to crimp them within seconds of capping them or they would grow longer as you watched ;-)

I gave up on AA7 at that point as I was length limited because of the Glock platform (magazine thing).

1.175 with 10.4 AA7 in the neener, Yesiree, that's a stuffed case!

I got some HS6 yesterday, so now is it time to start looking for that"perfect load".

I will probably start around 7,5gn and go upwards from there.

The recipe is something like this: 124 gn FMJ Zero bullets, once fired Fiocchi cases, Federal 200 primer or WSR, OAL around 1,24".

The gun I use is an SVI with 3 Hybrid "holes" and a 3 port comp.

The cost of a 1lb can of HS6 is about $32 over here! ;)