Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

650/primer Feed Weirdness

I recently broke my 650. The overtravel stop broke off the big cast piece at the bottom of the ram, which had some interesting side effects... not the least of which was another piece that broke on the next stroke, due to overcamming..

So I called Dillon, they sent the replacement parts (thanks!!!!), and I put them on over the weekend.

Loaded up about 500 rounds, and had an anomaly occur about every 20 rounds or so... every once in a while, the ram would not move all the way down on the downstroke... the shell plate had indexed, but the ram wouldn't complete its downward movement. After wiggling various things, I heard a soft "click" and then the ram was free to continue downward.

After studying what was going on, it appears that the primer disc was not fully moving the new primer into place.... so what was stopping the ram was the primer ram hitting the bottom of the primer disc, and stopping the whole works. If I wiggled things a little, the disk would finish its movement, and everything would work.

I looked at the primer assembly, and it appears to me that - on occasion, at random intervals - the little lever thingie is not pushing the disc all the way around - it is sort of lifting out of the hole before the full motion is completed. Not every time, just... every once in a while. I tightened all the screws on and near the primer assembly, didn't seem to make a difference. The one thing that appears to affect the downward tension on that little lever thingie (the spring washer at its pivot point) does not appear to have a way to increase tension.

Anyone had a problem like this? Is it an easy fix? Did I do more damage to my press than I thought, when I broke it?

Bruce

Usually cleaning and lubing helped a lot.

What a concept. Same thing my gunsmith keeps trying to tell me <grin>

I blew it out with compressed air last night, and sneaked a little 3-in-1 oil in there, and it seems to be working great. loaded 1000 rounds last night with no hiccups

Thanks!

Bruce