Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Fit in the box

Peter K

The rules say that "the gun must fit in the box".

But: How or in which manner?

I ask because I use a G35 with a mounted jet funnel from Glockmeister. The gun fits in the box by first putting the muzzle into the box and then the grip of the gun. By that the slide is pushed about 1 mm backwards so that the gun fits tightly in the box.

Is there a rule which says how the procedure of testing the fit in the box has to be done?

(Edited by Peter K at 4:13 pm on Nov. 1, 2001)

Peter,

Appendix E of the 14th IPSC rulebook states,

" Any unloaded handgun in its ready condition but with the magazines inserted must fit"

There is never a problem with the gun being cocked, or if the bo mar needs to be depressed, but I'm not so sure about putting the gun out of battery,

good luck, P.D.

• 3 months later...

Hi Peter,

As Phil correctly points out, Part C of Appendix E of the rulebook applies.

However since you say your G35 can only fit the box with the slide slightly retracted, it is my view that your pistol does *not* satisfy the requirements of the division, because your gun is *not* in the "ready condition" as specified in Rule 8.1.2.2.

When a gun is in the ready condition, the slide should be fully forward.

Although Rule 8.1.2.2. does not specifically say so, it is my view that neither a CRO nor RM nor an Arbitration Committee would not support your protest to the contrary.

If you want to use your G35 in Standard Division, I suggest you remove the magazine funnel.

Hmmm.  My argument would be something like this:  The "in ready condition" requirement was to preclude some smartass from dropping a frame and slide into the box, and calling it a fit.  If you can pull the gun from the box and perform no additional actions, and it is ready to go, then by my consideration, it is in the box in "ready condition."

If someone argues it is not in ready condition, my question would be "What additional actions are necessary to make it ready from this (slide back) condition?"

The analogy to depressing the bomar sight for clearance is apt, I think.

But, I'm not the CRO or MD.