Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

40 Vs 45

steel1212

Even with the last bullet price jump, I can load .40 with a good jacketed bullet (MG, Zero, HAP) for right around $100-110 per K.

That is assuming that I leave my brass lay and don't reload my brass. If you pick up your brass just once you can get to $90 per K but then brass savings stops.

To compare apples to apples and use the same type of components in .45 and leave the brass lay, you are looking at around $145-150. If you decide pick up your brass at least 3 cycles you can get down to around $120 per K.

In looking around bullet prices are very similar on coated bullets so you could save some money there but it would be the same for each caliber.

One of the big parts of cost simply isn't the savings on one case but how much you will shoot in a year. Shooting 15K in a year can get you savings of $450 bucks (that's a 550 right there), however shooting 2K per year only saves you $60.

Yeah thats true in savings but typically the more you shoot the more you buy per time and save more money. I know its not going to be even but I still think its closer than what people are saying. I know 450$ is a lot but when shooting 15k a year your not exactly saving a whole lot of money...but I know every bit counts.

I shoot .40 single stack so I can shoot the same caliber and the exact same load in both my single stack and limited gun. I also like the savings over the .45 bullets and brass.

...not to mension, an extra bonus is that I find more .40s than .45s laying around the range. Since I'm poor and still able to bend over, I pick up whatever I find. I reload them until they crack.

DM

I shoot .40 single stack so I can shoot the same caliber and the exact same load in both my single stack and limited gun. I also like the savings over the .45 bullets and brass.

...not to mension, an extra bonus is that I find more .40s than .45s laying around the range. Since I'm poor and still able to bend over, I pick up whatever I find. I reload them until they crack.

DM

I guess I'll just have to get a .40 trojan or find one from springfield and see for myself lol. I'm still getting a nice .45 :P

One last comment (maybe someone above mentioned this already - I didn't read every comment), when you start looking for .40sw 1911 parts you aren't going to find much. For example, magazines. Not every mag manufacturer makes .40 mags for the 1911. I like Chip McCormick mags in my 1911 so I had to buy 10mm mags. This worked out anyway since I was loading them a little long for my SV limited gun (and wanted to use the same load).

You may also find that the gun manufactures don't offer as many of their 1911 models in 40 as they do 45. I started off with a Kimber 1911 in 38 Super. As it turns out, their 9mm and 38 super slides come with a .40 breachface. I bought it in 38 super with intentions to shoot it in the Bianchi cup, however I decided to use it for Single Stack when it started up. Lucky me, all I had to do was put a different barrel in it and get new mags. I ended up getting a Kart barrel. I'm really pleased with the results and the accuracy.

DM

I guess I'll just have to get a .40 trojan or find one from springfield and see for myself lol. I'm still getting a nice .45 :P
Edited by ExtremeShot

I'm not trying to bash one or the other just need some competitive shooters opinions. I'll ask this in the .45 section as well.

Anyway I was over at Gemini Customs today and molested some very nice works of art and it made me want a custom 1911. What I come down to is 40/45? I was looking at price of HAPs/ZERO bullets and they are about the same. Once fired brass on ebay is about the same. I know if I was shooting limited that 40 would be the way to go for more rounds but I shoot mainly single stack, esp, cdp, and may shoot some limited 10. So can you load 45 to make major powerfactor and shoot as good as 40 at major power factor? When I say as good I mean the same accuracy and follow ups? I would rather have the 45 as in my mind that is what the 1911 should be, though I currently run a 9mm as its the most accurate 1911 I have right now.

I shoot the 40 S&W because the local supply of once fired brass in SIG's is plentiful and free at the range used by the local police. However, if I had to purchase 40 S&W and 45 ACP brass for identical cost I might opt for the 45 ACP.

For the same PF I sense a sharper recoil; with the 40 S&W than with the 45 ACP. The 45 recoil is more of a push hard push. However there is much individual preference in perceived recoil.