Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

40 Vs 45

steel1212

I'm not trying to bash one or the other just need some competitive shooters opinions. I'll ask this in the .45 section as well.

Anyway I was over at Gemini Customs today and molested some very nice works of art and it made me want a custom 1911. What I come down to is 40/45? I was looking at price of HAPs/ZERO bullets and they are about the same. Once fired brass on ebay is about the same. I know if I was shooting limited that 40 would be the way to go for more rounds but I shoot mainly single stack, esp, cdp, and may shoot some limited 10. So can you load 45 to make major powerfactor and shoot as good as 40 at major power factor? When I say as good I mean the same accuracy and follow ups? I would rather have the 45 as in my mind that is what the 1911 should be, though I currently run a 9mm as its the most accurate 1911 I have right now.

You must have at least two of every type and caliber of 1911 ever built to be happy. ;)

The question you need to answer is which one you want first.

LoL now that is what I'm talking about! I can't afford 2 of every type from Gemini Customs though. That man makes some sweet 19s. Another thing is I would be limited to where I could buy a 40. Most big companies, I.E. springfield, Kimber tyipcally only make 45 or 9mm. I have a full size mil spec, loaded full sized 9mm, loaded micro, and loaded 3.5 ultra compact all from Springfield. I was leaning towards a trojan in .45 until I went over to Marc's shop then I really wanted a tight fitting custom job.

Edited by steel1212

If I had to do the impossible and choose a single gun (single stack) to fondle/shoot...

I would guess it would be in .45 built on a Caspian RR frame by my favorite builder.

But...having and shooting (just) one single stack....... :o:(:(:ph34r:

If I had to do the impossible and choose a single gun (single stack) to fondle/shoot...

I would guess it would be in .45 built on a Caspian RR frame by my favorite builder.

But...having and shooting (just) one single stack....... :o:(:(:ph34r:

Like I said above I don't have just one, I have 4 now, I just want to concentrate on one for competition. RIght now my 9mm gets most of the attention but the others still get there fondle time :wub:

Corey - I'd go with the .45. Tradition is a big part of it, but it's also true that guns usually work better in the caliber for which they were designed. I don't have a 1911 in .40 - that comes after I get one in .38 Super first ;) - but they seem to be more persnickety than .45s, plus the availability of mags that work can be an issue.

OTOH, I've never seen .45 brass anywhere near as cheap as .40 brass.

Corey - I'd go with the .45. Tradition is a big part of it, but it's also true that guns usually work better in the caliber for which they were designed. I don't have a 1911 in .40 - that comes after I get one in .38 Super first ;) - but they seem to be more persnickety than .45s, plus the availability of mags that work can be an issue.

OTOH, I've never seen .45 brass anywhere near as cheap as .40 brass.

I've been watching ebay to get an idea of price and I know I've picked up .45 off there for 0.04 each and thats shipped. The .40 I've been watching and it seems to go from 0.03 to 0.04 but I've not bought and I've just now started watching so I can see the final price.

Corey,

I won't have anything to do with ebay but from most of the local guys here, I can get .40 brass at 2 cents a piece all day long cleaned and polished. If you are willing to just take a bucket before cleaning and polishing you can usually get it for a penny a piece. Much cheaper than .45

Craig

A double stack 40 has the edge in typical USPA hose fest match's if you looking for running with the big dogs. I give up a little with Para45. Sometimes to 2/3 round capacity can make the difference. I don't see much difference in recoil of 40 and 45 if you reload yourself. If you run factory ammo the 40 again gains

A double stack 40 has the edge in typical USPA hose fest match's if you looking for running with the big dogs. I give up a little with Para45. Sometimes to 2/3 round capacity can make the difference. I don't see much difference in recoil of 40 and 45 if you reload yourself. If you run factory ammo the 40 again gains

Yeah, but I'm not talking double stack only single stack, limited 10, cdp/esp etc. Well I guess you could run double stack in esp.

I don't think I've ever seen a 40 single stack 1911 style gun used at any of clubs I shoot.

Isn't single stack limited to 45"s???

Na, I shoot 9mm minor in SS. Just most people use .45 in single stack because thats whats most available and it major PF.

If I were in your position, and I'm not, ;) I think I'd go for a Loaded Springer and shoot Winchester White Box and set my sights on taking Robbie Leatham's pistol at next years Single Stack Classic. B)

:lol: I doubt that is going to happen. I still may go the loaded springer route but for another K I can get a full custom job.

According to the ohiouspsa calculator

Useing tight group and 4.7 for .45, .40, and 9mm (just as a judge)

10/9mm, 30/.40, 40/.45 for 1k brass

19 for 1k of winchester primers small and large pistol didn't matter

71/9mm, 101/.40, 110/.45 for 1k haps

I came up with this per 1k of reloaded rounds

109.40/9mm, 159.40/.40, 178.40/.45

Now I know some of you guys are getting 40 cheaper and I may be able to get it cheaper as well as a fellow local shooter has suggested but this is just what I've been seeing and buying, other than the 40, on ebay for brass.

Edited by steel1212

If I were in your position, and I'm not, ;) I think I'd go for a Loaded Springer and shoot Winchester White Box and set my sights on taking Robbie Leatham's pistol at next years Single Stack Classic. B)

:lol: I doubt that is going to happen. I still may go the loaded springer route but for another K I can get a full custom job.

True, true. But for only another hundred you can have a great trigger job and lots of ammo. Those custom pistols are tempting though. Benny is working on my second project. (I may never catch Merlin....) :D

True, true. But for only another hundred you can have a great trigger job and lots of ammo. Those custom pistols are tempting though. Benny is working on my second project. (I may never catch Merlin....) :D

Yeah, I went over there today to pick up my springer 9 and man it just doens't feel right anymore after holding some of his work. I would like to trade my mil spec towards a loaded ss in .45 but I doubt to many people would do that. I could have him work my mil spec but then it would end up being more than a loaded lol.

I doubt 40 or 45 has an advantage.. I just want to load one caliber.. and it is cheaper to load 40 with the price of bullets these days.

There was a short discussion in Front Sight about that..

With my figures there is only 19$ diffrence per k between 40 and 45. To me thats not enough of a differance to get another caliber. Sure I'll continue to shoot the 9mm in ESP but you can't shoot a 40 in CDP only in ESP for IDPA. In SS you can shoot 40/45 for major, I'm shooting the 9mm for minor right now as I don't have a good major caliber so shoot. There also, to my knowledge, any good 10 round mags so you can shoot 40 in limited unless you have a double stack.

Could somebody please list what they are paying for 1,5,10k of reloaded 40? I just used the calculators and I know its close to what I load 45 at for my milspec but have no idea for the 40.

Price is a side benefit.

I'm only speaking to reloading.

If 40 were the same, I'd still shoot it more than 45.. for me, it's just easier to reload a single caliber for Prod/Limited/SS.

You can buy preloaded ammo? :)

Yup, but I don't. I can understand if you shoot just one caliber for everything. I'm just trying to see the benifit of 40 over 45 for a new gun and I keep hearing cost in favor of the 40 and I'm just not seeing it.

Even with the last bullet price jump, I can load .40 with a good jacketed bullet (MG, Zero, HAP) for right around $100-110 per K.

That is assuming that I leave my brass lay and don't reload my brass. If you pick up your brass just once you can get to $90 per K but then brass savings stops.

To compare apples to apples and use the same type of components in .45 and leave the brass lay, you are looking at around $145-150. If you decide pick up your brass at least 3 cycles you can get down to around $120 per K.

In looking around bullet prices are very similar on coated bullets so you could save some money there but it would be the same for each caliber.

One of the big parts of cost simply isn't the savings on one case but how much you will shoot in a year. Shooting 15K in a year can get you savings of $450 bucks (that's a 550 right there), however shooting 2K per year only saves you $60.

Edited by smokshwn