Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ipsc Production Trigger Pull?

Flight

What's the minimum trigger pull for a production firearm in IPSC ruling? I'm planning on getting a Ralph Sotelo 3.5 kit for my G17. Since the G17 has an adjustable sight can I change it with an aftermarket adjustable sight and still make it leagl for production competition?

What's the minimum trigger pull for a production firearm in IPSC ruling? I'm planning on getting a Ralph Sotelo 3.5 kit for my G17. Since the G17 has an adjustable sight can I change it with an aftermarket adjustable sight and still make it leagl for production competition?

2.27 Kg. (5 Lb.)

There is no minimum in USPSA Production.

Edited by Bigbadaboom

The aftermarket sight will be fine (IPSC) as long as it is conventional style notch and post and does not have a fiber optic. You also cannot mill the slide to fit the sight, if you were thinking Bo-Mar. Under the US rules though, you can pretty much change it to whatever you want.

That kit would be illegal for IPSC Production Division.

Flight, this should make things clear:

From the Rulebook, Appendix D4:

6. Minimum trigger pull (see Appendix F2) 2.27 kg (5lbs) for first shot

19. Original parts and components offered by the OFM as standard equipment, or as an option, for a specific model

handgun on the IPSC approved handgun list are permitted, subject to the following:

19.1 Modifications to them, other than minor detailing, are prohibited. Prohibited modifications include

changing the original color and/or finish of a handgun, and/or adding stripes or other embellishments.

19.2 Base plates and/or any other devices which provide additional ammunition capacity (e.g. “+2” magazine

extensions), are prohibited.

19.3 Sights may be trimmed, adjusted and/or have sight black applied.

20. Aftermarket parts, components and accessories are prohibited, except as follows:

20.1 Aftermarket magazines which match the external dimensions of standard magazines offered by the OFM

for the approved handgun are permitted.

20.2 Aftermarket sights of the same type and kind offered by the OFM for the approved handgun are

permitted, provided their installation and/or adjustment requires no alteration to the handgun.

20.3 Aftermarket grips which match the profile of the OFM standard for the approved handgun and/or the

application of tape on grips is permitted, however, rubber sleeves are prohibited.

21. A competitor who fails to comply with any of the requirements above will be subject to Rule 6.2.5.1

And from the Official Interpretations July 2006:

9. In respect of Appendix D4, Point 19.1, the expression "minor detailing" means the removal of burrs and/or adjustments

unavoidably required in order to fit replacement OFM parts and components.

11. In respect of Appendix D4 Point 20.2, the expression "same type and kind" means "any open sights" (see Rule

5.1.3.1).

You can download both the Rulebook and Official Interpretations from IPSC's website.

So, you can put the Glock 3.5 lbs connector, as long as your trigger pull remains at or above 5 lbs. And you can replace the sights to just about anthing you want, as long as you don't have to alter the gun.

Also, you could visit IPSC's Official Forum, the Global Village, where you can get this, and any other question you may have answered by some of IPSC's highest ranking officials.

Edited by Pierruiggi

Can I use a Hiene rear sight with a Dawson fiber optic front since its a drop in?

Yes, if you don't have to modify the gun (which you shouldn't have to with drop in parts), you'll be good to go. It also perfectly legal to modify the sights to fit, as long as you don't modify the slide.