Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which Adhesive?

geoff

Following on from the previous, I am looking for a way to fix a flip up rear sight to my 11/87 (yes, I know). I have no machine shop facilities so sticky stuff is the way for me. So called 'high temp' epoxies only claim to have a 200deg C limit. I am sure my gun gets hotter than that, then cools down, then heats up and so on. Expansion, contraction, expansion, contraction then 300-400 rounds later the sight falls off. I have tried conventional 2 part epoxy and glass fibre resin.

Anyone got a favourite for this kind of job (yes, I know, drill and tap)

Geoff

Two part epoxy made by Devcon called "Plastic Steel" is what holds my JPoint sight in place. The sight is mounted right on the bbl about 6 inches from the receiver where the temperature gets as hot as any metal on the outside of a shotgun does. I am using an aluminum mount on a steel bbl. I roughed up both surfaces to bare metal with a coarse grinder.

200 degrees C is a perfectly acceptable temp rating to use on a shotgun bbl. How hot do you think it's gonna' get on the outside of the gun anyway. Maybe 350-400 F at worst and that ain't anywhere near 400 C (which is 752 F) ;-)