Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Uspsa Vs Idpa

Leadfoot Anny

I am a IDPA shooter and would welcome shooting any other shooting sport. I have noticed some of the anti IDPA. Some IPSC shooters have said it stands for "I don't Practice Anymore"

Some I know think it is just too easy and beneath them to shoot IDPA. I have also noticed that most of these shooters are the ones that show up for the match, only tape targets when pestered and leave without helping out with the teardown.

Vincent, if you think the Tactical Journal needs improvement, why don't you send something for them to publish?

Lastly, I know that this board has a policy of not bashing other shooting sports. I support that idea. As many have said before me, all trigger time is good.

I'm a fairly new shooter and more so have been new to competition shooting. A friend of mine introduced me to both sports last year. First he introduced me to IDPA, where he participated as a Safety Officer and encouraged me to shoot my first ever match last year. Yes, to shoot our State Championship match I had to join and become a member but it seemed reasonable especially when he mentioned there would be a prize table with a random drawing. So I joined IDPA shot a classifier match and then jumped in with both feet and shot the IDPA State Championship and had a great time. From there, we both looked into USPSA and found a whole different set of rules. They appeared to be less restrictive than IDPA, but different. I've heard another shooter mention that with USPSA you are moving forward in a stage and in IDPA you are mostly retreating to cover. I say shoot both with the intent on having a good time and improving your shooting.

I started by shooting IDPA, I had heard of USPSA but never felt like it was for entry level competition. In the last year i have started shooting USPSA, Yes they are diffferent but the same in so many ways.

The shooters, what can i say? there are many nice shooters in both sports. I have found that if a shooter is an ass in one he usually is in both sports and in general :huh: .

Find one or both and just have fun. I now shoot 3- gun and am having a blast :lol:

We are all just sport shooters anyways, I never understood running down one mans sport for another. I may not enjoy your sport as much as the one im shooting now but that dosent mean i have a right make your shooting miserable....my .02

Frederick Haring

Edited by firewalker

Just a thought:

maybe the fundamental structure of the two sports divides the shooting community by personality?

IDPA-more geared towards rules, possibly attracting people who like structured rules.

USPSA-has rules, but generally 'freestyle' is how you shoot, attracting people who don't like rules and want to do things their own way.

But the fundamental differences in the two sports seem to naturaly polarize conflicting personalities.

So you get some people shooting only one and not liking the other.

Then there are the neutrals, that could care less about the bickering and just want to shoot (thats me).

Just thinking outloud.

Edited by Malak

I like thinking out loud, but I disagree. IPSC/USPSA has rules that can hurt you just as bad as IDPA. Cooper tunnels, Penalty No-shoots, and so forth. I don't think it is about that. I think it is about the fact that some people can't get past the "Tactical" aspect. I think you get the guys and gals that make the IPSC/USPSA people feel unwelcome because they are not "in the know" about the "real world". I remember an Article by Clint Smith where talked about a "well known" IPSC shooter in one of his training classes. Interesting read.

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_..._29/ai_n9480628

The whole 'tactical' and 'real world' aspect thing are both very true... which ever way you look at it, the differences in the sports do seem to have a polarizing effect for certain people, but certainly not everyone.

I absolutely detest the "wanna-be the police" and "wanna-be military" attitude I see at most IDPA matches. Many local IDPA directors actually view the match as some kind of "tactical" instruction course for the "real world." Men, it is a shooting match!! It is a game! The targets are cardboard and don't shoot back and we are keeping "score." I love the shooting sports... the shooting games. I hate to have the experience ruined by tactical nazis intent on turning the event into a paramilitary or law enforcement training exercice. USPSA bans camo clothing at matches and discourages that wanna-be mentality and I appreciate that. Some IDPA clubs are more understanding than others but the ones in my area act like some kind of militia training camps and heaven forbid a shooter from approaching a match like it was a game with a final score. If USPSA were more accessible to me I would never shoot another IDPA match again. Just my opinion.

OK...that is enough of that.

The poster...who is new to shooting matches...was wondering about the differences she and her family might see at an IDPA versus an USPSA. I am pretty sure she wasn't worried about the politics.

I belong to the club she is asking about. The IDPA match director there is a good guy. I helped get IDPA into that club by putting in good words for them with the club's BOD (and I am the Ohio Section Coordinator for USPSA).

If anybody has a problem with one sport/activity or another, or club, or match director...Brian's Forum isn't the format to air that gripe.

Please read the Forum Guidelines.

Thread CLOSED.