Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My Grandfather's World War One 1911

Derek45

Ed

The gun in the pics appears to be a re-blue, as well.

My Father never said anything about it getting re-blued.

What makes You say it been re-blued?

The edges, especially around the trigger guard, appear (in the posted photos) to be rolled-over from over-buffing. The same softness appears on the cocking serrations and some of the other 90-degree edges. The barrel photos show a High Standard WWII-era replacement barrel (P on one side of the lower lug, and HS on the other?), definitely not original to the gun. Notice how the slide sits slightly forward of the frame? The rear of the slide/frame/extractor/ejector was originally finished (blended) after the barrel was installed, so all those parts would match. The replacement barrel isn't exactly the same as the original, so the slide/frame relationship is slightly changed. I have a 1918 Colt with a WWII barrel too, and such guns are fairly common, if they remained in government service after WWI.

Edited by RickB

Ed

The gun in the pics appears to be a re-blue, as well.

My Father never said anything about it getting re-blued.

What makes You say it been re-blued?

The edges, especially around the trigger guard, appear (in the posted photos) to be rolled-over from over-buffing. The same softness appears on the cocking serrations and some of the other 90-degree edges. The barrel photos show a High Standard WWII-era replacement barrel (P on one side of the lower lug, and HS on the other?), definitely not original to the gun. Notice how the slide sits slightly forward of the frame? The rear of the slide/frame/extractor/ejector was originally finished (blended) after the barrel was installed, so all those parts would match. The replacement barrel isn't exactly the same as the original, so the slide/frame relationship is slightly changed. I have a 1918 Colt with a WWII barrel too, and such guns are fairly common, if they remained in government service after WWI.

I posted this on the 1911 forum too....http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php...d=1#post1314097

Somebody on that board wanted to see the barrel markings.

I called My father last weekend, He's getting old, and said He qualified in the US Marines (cherry point) with it, and may have changed out the barrel then, He doesn't remember.

Now I"m wondering if He might have had it re-blued, but He never said anyting about it.

His memory isn't the best these days, but I grew up shooting this gun, and know that My grandfather on My Mothers side brought it home From WWI.

My Father had it until I was 18 years old, until per My Grandfathers wishes, He handed it down to me. My grandfather insisted it be passed down to every son in the Family on there 18th birthday.

My grandfather died when I was about 2, My Mother has passed, also, now My Father is getting forgetfull.

I wish I would have asked more questions 20 years ago.

Re-barreled and possibly re-blued, it might upset a collector, but not Me. This thing is a part of My family, I'll never sell it. I'm greatfull, and it got me started on a lifelong additction of shooting 1911's.