Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Miami Vice

I think the biggest miscast role was Castillo. In the original series he exuded "don't mess with me." In the movie it looks like he keeps a ham sandwich in his holster and exudes "Where am I?"

+1 on that.

Edited by Bigbadaboom

It didn't feature any guns like Sonny's Bren, and we only got a split second glance at the SV Tiki Sonny was carrying.

Wow, I got more than a split second glance at the gun...at the range though not in the movie. I shot it at last weekend's match :lol::lol: The local SV crew brought it out and let some of us take a test drive. As to the movie, think I'll wait for the dvd...

• 2 months later...

my girlfriend & I watched it as I am a huge michael Mann fan. To live and die in L.A, Manhunter, Heat are all great films. Michael did the original tv series and I think he did the best he could to modernize the film to today's era. My girlfriend actually noticed the S_I before i did! she doesnt even own one! I think you guys are semi right about the semi role reversal. Jamie fox is a bigger actor than Collin Farrell so thats probably why He was P1. or it was because Collin Farrell was coked out his mind thoughout the whole shoot. listen to his voice.. he sounds distressed and short of breath like a cokehead. That was entertaining. as for the Girl. She was pretty hot, and the all the gear from cars to boats and guns were top notch. I enjoyed the begining when they shot up the car with a Barrett .50 and the arms and head were severed from the back seat.. that was neat!

I was disappointed in this movie - as a huge fan of the TV series, I too thought Colin Farrell was totally wrong as Crockett. Jamie Foxx was excellent as Tubbs, and I really appreciated his "renaissance man" vibe - gunfighter, pilot, cop, romantic. The best part of the show, along with the cars and boats.

Didn't like the way it was filmed. MM likes to shoot with available light, which results in a lot of grainy scenes that look like amateur video. It worked in Collateral, for some reason not as effective in MV.

Not enough attention to the hardware either. MM apparently gets kickbacks from HK now, and they do make nice guns, but some more variety would have been nice. Who can forget Vincent's up close press check in HEAT, or Kilmer's characters spectacular AR speedload during the bank shootout. MV had it's moments, but aside from the initial BMG rounds into the car-scene, lacked much in the way of memorable gunplay. It thought the headshot scene in the trailer was overwrought - not something MM is typically guilty of.

The bank shootout in HEAT was an emotional event - I nearly fell out of my chair when I saw it the first time, and it looks just as good 75 or so viewings later. The "you are THERE" aspect of that scene is the hook, it's as if you are truly in the middle of the fight. A rare achievement, the opening scene in Saving Private Ryan is similarly powerful.

Collateral gets better with each viewing - time will tell if the same is true of Miami Vice.