Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Problem With Stages Involving Alot Of Movement!

Rumpy

Hi Guys,

I'm hoping a few of you maybe able to give me a few Idea's, or practice drills?

Here's the problem,

I'm relatively new to IPSC (12months), I'm a 'M' grade shooter. I can mix it up with the fast guys on short stages that require little(3-10) steps or no movement, but when it comes to the big 32rd'ers that require alot of movement, I'm always 3-8sec off the pace? My reloads are ok.

I know this is a pretty broad question, any idea's on how to improve would be appreciated.

Any chance you have some video??? You're asking a pretty nebulous question :)

Look at how fast you're physically moving, how efficiently you're moving, how you're leaving and entering positions, etc. Lots of small efficiencies to be gained in lots of places. Search the forums - lots of good stuff here already.

Without seeing what you're doing (or not doing), its tough to offer specific advice...

I went through this and still working on it. A couple of things that I had to work on. First was stage memory. Once the buzzer went off did I still know what where all the targets are. You'll be amazed how much time is added while searching for targets. I'm not talking about literally looking for a target but more like you know there is 3 targets past the wall but you don't know exactly where they are. So you go around the wall and the target is 5ft from where you thought it was, you do that very much and you can add couple of seconds easily. You'll notice the top guys are so precise from one target to another with transitions and splits. It looks like when they engage an array on the left then swing back to the right they literally throw the gun toward the next array. In my mind this is one of the things where being extremely aggressive works in shooting. You gotta get the gun to the next target as fast as possible. I need lots of work on this.

Then you have movement, this just has to be practiced. I try to set up mini courses and work on moving in and out of positions at the same speed I do in a match. I make the courses large enough so I have to do alot of movements.

You also have stage breakdown, the best way to shoot a stage. This just comes from experience and takes time.

Give us some video or examples of what you do on a stage and we can help more.

Flyin40

Thanks, I'll try and get some footage...... It may be a good few weeks though, as I've just moved house and range I'm going to at the moment doesn't do IPSC...... Long story!!!

Any other feedback would be great 'till I can sort out some video :D .

Well, specifically what issues do you seem to be having?? I mean from your perspective, or from what others might be telling you? Flyin' has a couple of good thoughts about things to look at - programming the stage, breaking it down, physical skills, etc.

This is where the classification system departs from reality in our matches - the classifiers generally stress stand and shoot skills, while the matches tend to be movement oriented... If you've got the shooting skills to get an M card, you can pick up the movement, too ;) Just a fairly steep learning curve to get to that M level...

You are not Old are you?.....just kidding, but I can shoot with the M boys on a stand and shoot stage, but running on the long field courses is not my cup of tea, can't run with the kids anymore......XRe gave you some good advice..do your work on the walk thru and then run the movies in your minds eye as many times as you can B4 you have to go to the line..

Good luck with it...

Flyin' posted some vid in the Area 8 video thread, FWIW... John's not an old guy, either - I can see a few things that'll help him out :) Go watch all the A8 vids and look at the top dogs on the vids - Todd, JJ, and Matt Trout - all of them are moving very snappily, very decisively, they have plans that allow them to flow, and they get the shooting done at the speed the shooting can be done at, and then they move as fast and as smoothly as they can.

When you get some video together, compare back to stuff like that - note the differences and get to work on them :) That's really all it boils down to...

Keep in mind that while JJ is a little younger than us, Todd isn't. You don't have to be a kid to move like that - it helps to be in good shape, but... There's a lot of guys older than us in this game that kick our butts on all these things, so.... :)

• 2 months later...