Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Help With Oal 38 Super

lrjet

With a round nose 115 gr. my is OAL 1.250. I am trying some flat nose 115 gr. The length of the RN is .547 and the FN is .497. Do I shorten my OAl to 1.210 for the FN so the bullet will enter the case with the same depth as the RN or leave it at 1.250 and have a short land depth?? Thanks

load both ways and see what works..with reloading there is never "the way" its always somewhat the seat of your pants.

really hard to tell not knowing what kind of gun your shooting

Harmon

I load everything with a 1.225 OAL and work up the load for the different bullet weights.

Edit: that is for 38 Super and produces reliable nesting of the rim and feeding in both my SVI and STI mags.

Edited by CenTX

With a round nose 115 gr. my is OAL 1.250. I am trying some flat nose 115 gr. The length of the RN is .547 and the FN is .497. Do I shorten my OAl to 1.210 for the FN so the bullet will enter the case with the same depth as the RN or leave it at 1.250 and have a short land depth?? Thanks

For starters, shorten the OACL by the difference in the bullet length (e.g. base of bullet is in the same place relative to the powder) and see whether it runs.

Just went through this running out my last few handfuls of 115 JRNs and switching to 115 JHPs (MT Golds). JHPs are 0.015" shorter than the JRNs, shortened OACL to 1.240" accordingly, runs like a champ, and - guess what - they chrono at precisely the same velocity... YMMV...

Thanks guys for the fast info--just bought a Tripp Frame Wilson Comp for plates. Getting back into shooting so new to the 38Super. Just wanted to make sure I didnt do something stupid especially with the high pressure 38.