Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

On Course For Master Grade In Std Division...

Hi Brian, hi all,

Er, this was never the intention, but I might be on course for a Master grade for Standard Division, this weekend coming. I always wanted to just do this type of shooting as a weekend-relaxer anticipating the nastiness that would be thrown upon me by folks during the working week. Or on the street, in the past, etc. Shooting is relaxing for me, it helps rejuvenate me, rebuilds my esteem (a bit), remotivates me, gives me some focus, and is a bit of an all round constant in my life.

I love tearing down the long COFs and even though it's only 25 secs or less, I feel free from worries in that moment of time (whilst bearing safety rules in mind, of course). And this is what I get out of it. I'm at peace with the world and I'm at peace with myself. It's kind of therapeutic for me. :)

This week, it's gonna be 2 years since I discovered this type of shooting. It's the Northern Champs, this weekend coming, at Barry Pollard's awesome Ace Shooting Centre in Leeds, Yorkshire, UK.

I've done the calc's and if I'm right, I need 88.5% to secure it. Any higher % would be comfortable.

GPP2006MyProgrs.pdf

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't nervous. And I'm trying to tell myself this is a normal match like any other. But do you have some advice to stop me getting all jittery. I'm planning on doing several things this week to take my mind off it: going to the movies, hitting the gym, walking around town, doing some studying, listening to radio sessions, maybe strike a decent conversation with this lovely lass at my local bread shop, etc.

I'm not sure why I'd be interested in a Master grade, but I guess, in the next few months time, my job isn't that secure and if I have to look again, then something like this would help keep me going in life.

Thanks in advance!

Lab. :)

The only advice I can give you about nerves is this:

No matter what the stakes are, go through your normal routine.

Try not to worry about your performance.

Take it one stage at a time and focus on your shooting, not your score card.

Nerves are normal for me at a big match.

The bigger the match the more nervous I become.

I hope to never lose that because it means I am still taking this sport seriously.

However, I find that anxiety usually goes away after the first round is fired.

If you take care of your fundamentals, your performance will take care of itself.

One more thing, .... don't forget to have some fun along the way.

Good luck,

Tony

Just watch that front sight rise and fall. Be in the "now" not in the "future". The future will be what it will be.

That's how I'd think of it. Best of luck (or should I say Skill?)

Ray

TGO told me that to keep calm before a stage he will walk to the line thinking of things like what's for lunch. This is after he works out the stage of course. He said it helps him to keep his cool and not stress too much over the stage. His point was that we all need our own way to keep our cool and not over stress ourselves.

I am having a simliar notion swirl around in my head. I have been working for a while on improving my skills / scores, and as a result I'm finally pushing GM.

I have been hovering around 90% and shooting decent local matches.

When I went to check on local match results yesterday, my classification had jumped up to over 94%. I am less than 1% from GM, and it's got me thinking again. :wacko:

If I hit one more good classifier, or a good Area Match, It will be over the mark. I am using it as a spur to practice and perform. I was juuuuust starting to flag a little in practice, but now I can't wait, I have soooooo much to work on!!!

External focus, willingness to fight to win, breathing, prep, visual patience / discipline, and look towards the challenge, not the outcome.

yeah, right. :rolleyes: