Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Just Bought Sti Standard Gun

Rumpy

Hi Guys,

I just picked up a second-hand STI Standard gun (long dust cover), which I bought sight unseen (I know not the best way :wacko: )..... And have a few questions as this is my first 1911/2011.

This pistol was advertised as having less than 5000rnds through it, which I believe as there is very little wear on any of the parts. It has been custom made and hard chromed. It also looks like it may have been dropped as there is a mark/chip in the bevertail and you can see where there has been some blending in on the front right of the dust cover.

My questions are regarding Slide to frame and barrel to slide fitting, at the front of the dust cover I have about 0.010' of vertical movement and a very tiny amount of side movement between the slide and frame, this is only noticeable at the front, the rear is tight.

The barrel (Bull Barrel) is also nice and tight at the chamber end, but at the front has about 0.008' of vertical movement and a tiny amount of side movement. It holds about 2" 10 shot group at 25m off a rest :D .

Is this something that I should worry about?

Could this movement shorten the lifespan of this pistol and cause it to get sloppy faster than normal?

Should I send it to a smith to tighten up!!!

How can you tighten up the barrel to slide fit without replacing either the barrel or slide??

thanks,

Edited by Rumpy

OK, It's accurate enough. Is it reliable? If so do not mess with it. I know it's nice when you hand cycle a tight gun but you cannot tell the difference when shooting it. A buddy of mine so worried about his gun was not tight enough (I told him to leave it alone)so he tried to squeeze it. Then he ordered a new slide after he cracked that one. The only good way to tighten it up is to have it accurailed. But I would not do that either as long as it is accurate and reliable.

About 2' at 25m :D .

I am not a GunSmith but thats two feet not two inches. I would say thats very bad :)

The slide slop is ok. It will not cause it to wear out prematurely.

But 'About 2' at 25m'(2 ft) needs some looking into by a gunsmith.

In the Jerry Kunhnhausen 1911 manual play of ~.003 is normal in a barrel to barrel bushing fit. .008 does

not seem that far out..

Edited by 45gunner

Sorry I meant 2 inches :( . I'll change it!!!

I've only fired about 100rds or so out of it, no malfunctions, so I'd say it's reliable.

I'm happy with it. The movement just gets to me, especially the barrel!!! I'm a production shooter and my 'off the shelf' production gun doesn't have that much play in the Barrel, However it's slide is a different story :lol: .

So is .008" ok in a Bull barrel???? I thought that a Bull barrel also locked up on the taper at the end of the barrel??

Edited by Rumpy

Sorry I meant 2 inches :( . I'll change it!!!

I've only fired about 100rds or so out of it, no malfunctions, so I'd say it's reliable.

I'm happy with it. The movement just gets to me, especially the barrel!!! I'm a production shooter and my 'off the shelf' production gun doesn't have that much play in the Barrel, However it's slide is a different story :lol: .

Thanks,

That's very accurate!. Be happy with it and shoot it and enjoy it with changing anything on it.

Remember. The tighter the gun is the less reliable it is.

Edited by 45gunner

Is this something that I should worry about?

Could this movement shorten the lifespan of this pistol and cause it to get sloppy faster than normal?

Should I send it to a smith to tighten up!!!

How can you tighten up the barrel to slide fit without replacing either the barrel or slide??

thanks,

In order:

No

No

No

No

It holds about 2" 10 shot group at 25m off a rest :D .

That's how you know it doesn't need to be fixed.