Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

USPSA / IPSC??????????

Fireant

Help!  I've been reading tons of info for the last two months trying to nail down a division to start in.  What is the difference between the two?  How can I tell one from the other?  I mean, I go to one website and they talk about the other and I'm all confussed.  I can't even tell about my local club because they have both links on the site as well as all the initials????????

Thanks

IPSC is the worldwide governing body of practical shooting.

USPSA is the governing body in the United States.

IPSC and USPSA share many of the same rules, however you suould only be concerned with the USPSA rules and divisions if you live in the USA. The divisions in USPSA are Open, Limited, Limited 10, Production, and Revolver.

Well assuming you live in the USA you want to find a local USPSA club. USPSA is part of the international IPSC along with many other countries. USPSA is further broken down by Areas then Sections then Clubs but none of that is important. You just need to talk to someone in your town to get you started. Joining USPSA would be high on your list so you can get a rulebook and eventually classified.

Now your use of the word "division: is incorrect. USPSA and IPSC are sanctioning or governing organizations. They are adminstrative in nature.  Division is the type of gun you shoot, For instance if you shoot a 9mmBeretta you would more than likely shoot Production division. There is also overlap. a Glock .40 cal could be shot and be competative in Production, Limited, Limited 10 and I guess Open. Open are the unlimited Raceguns and since they allow the most modifications almost any gun works in Open. You would NOT shoot a Glock .40 in Open normally but some have. Don't let this confuse you.

What do you shoot? We could steer you to the correct division. USPSA.org has a lot more info. Some clubs have a new shooter program. Have you talked to a club? Where are you located? Welcome to the best handgun competition sport.

PS If you surf this site you will find info that would normally take years to learn. Remember this site is for all competition shooting so there are bulleye, rifle, trap, skeet type postings and some does not apply to USPSA/IPSC type shooting.

As Kyle said you got the stuff. Unless you are a reloader you would not want to shoot Production because it has a lower power factor required. You could shoot factory .40/.45 ammo in it I just am giving suggestions to make your life easier. I have seen some good prices on .40 Glock high caps lately though. You would want those if you shot Limited. Now a decent holster and mag pouches and you are ready.

Don't ever feel like the Glock is sub par. I am mostly a Racegun Open type guy, which you may be some day, but there are guys, some are posting on the forum, that can shoot a Glock as well or better than 95% of the Limited shooters and even a majority of Open shooters. Practice and committemnt will make you a great shooter.