Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Springfield XD legal for USPSA Production?

Hammer

I have been asked by a new shooter if his Springfield XD would be legal for production in USPSA.  I see that it is legal for IPSC but there seems to be some question as to whether its trigger is double or single action

Double action/safe action defination:  

The action of pulling the trigger puts tension on the hammer/striker and when fully pulled the trigger releases the hammer/striker which fires the gun.

On the XD, when the slide is racked, the striker is fully cocked to the rear.  The action of pulling the trigger does not move the striker any further to the rear.  It only disengages the safeties and releases the stored tension in the striker.  Based on MY above explanation of double action, the XD must be classified as single action.

Dave,

Thanks for the explanation.

I've never had a chance to handle or shoot an XD but I was previously advised the XD was identical to a Glock, whereby pulling the trigger causes the striker to retract further before being released.

Obviously as a member of IPSC's Production Division "Approved Gun Committee", I'd like to have a definitive answer.

Have you seen this article, which gives quite a good argument in favour of not classifying the XD as single-action?

Further comments welcome.

If you read the latest issuen of Front Sight, it definitively states that YES, the XD is legal for USPSA Production.

Whether it is "single action" or not has apparently been overlooked for a more "how does the trigger feel" argument. Since it is long travel, and FEELS and ACTS similar ro a Glock, and other Production legal guns, it seems that it was adopted as legal.

Of course it doesn't hurt to have Springfield Armory and TGO backing the gun for Production as well  

And having IDPA not recognize the XD  as legal in the same class as the Glock, gives USPSA the edge with XD shooters, as well, IMHO. In IDPA they have to compete with single action 1911s.

(Edited by shooter40 at 2:57 pm on Mar. 4, 2003)

I had not seen the article till tonight and it seems to simple confirm what I already knew about the XD.  

1. Based on my defination of Single Action, the XD is in fact a SA gun.

2. The XD has additional safeties that prevent the gun from firing unless the trigger is pulled to the rear.  Just like the glock.

3. The XD's trigger feels amazingly like the glocks.

Unfortunately for springfield, IPSC took the more logical (in my opinion) approach and allowed the XD in production while IDPA took the more anal approach and disallowed it.

As an aside, I happen to think that the 5lb first shot rule in production has some real merrit.  A 1 or 2 lb glock, XD, or LDA is not a true off the shelf trigger system.  By allowing super light safe-action type triggers, USPSA is handicaping the traditional DA/SA guns (sig, beretta, smith).  Rather than continue with a rule outlawing SA pistols in production, it would make more sense for IPSC/USPSA to allow all stricker fired guns and all DA/SA guns that have a first shot pull weight of at least 3.5 lbs and leave it at that.  Wording such as this would have the desired effect of disallowing true SA guns while still allowing the new breed of true production type guns.

Dave,

I don't know if others have had this problem, but I have always had some problems with getting a repeatable measurement of the weight at which a Glock trigger breaks.  I have a Lyman digital guage.  I wonder how much variation and inconsistency a match official might have?

I have yet to see anyone's trigger "weighed", or even have their gun lookedat very closely at a Production match, other than to obvious external things pointed out to new shooters... ("Hey did ya know that you can't shoot that Glock with a Seattle Slug in the butt in Production? Sorry. you'll have to take out...")

Seems to be mostly honor system, unless someone protested you.....  maybe we could adopt a "Claims" type rule to the major Production matches.... anyone can buy your gun for X amount after the match, like horse racing or Auto racing, kinda discourages to much cheating on hidden mods or tuning.  :)

Oh, that is just evil...I like it!

So the rule would be that, if requested, the competitor would be required to sell their Production gun (if asked) for, lets be generous, full MSRP at the conclusion of any match...

Alex