Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Oal Vs. Felt Recoil

nheiny13

I know that people load long to improve feeding and to reduce pressure. But if you have a load of 4.7gr Titegroup one loaded to 1.170 and another to 1.200, is the longer one going to have a softer recoil because of reduced pressure?

I know that people load long to improve feeding and to reduce pressure. But if you have a load of 4.7gr Titegroup one loaded to 1.170 and another to 1.200, is the longer one going to have a softer recoil because of reduced pressure?

I think yes because the bullet will leave the barrel slightly slower there will be slightly less recoil.

What I would like to know is for a given power factor. In my case 174.

I load 5.2g of PP to 1.115 behind a 200g plated bullet and send it out of the barrel at 870 fps

If I increase the oal to 1.125 and up the powder charge enough to send the bullet out at 870 fps will the recoil feel any different.

al

Yes and no, yes it will have less recoil becasue it amkes less power. pressure does not directly affect recoil. if your buring 4 grains of powder and shooting a bullet at 950 fps at 20kpsi vs doing the same at 40Kpsi, your not going to notice any difference in recoil

Perfect example, CLAYs in major 40s,

High peak pressure, SOFT recoil

The shorter you load ammo the less powder needed, thus less gasses escaping creating less "rocket effect" at the muzzle.

but the shorter you load, the gun may not feed as well and you will increase chamber pressure..so its a trade off.

Harmon

The "major" contributing factor is the burning rate of the powder, more so than the OAL.

You could load a "too slow" burning powder in any OAL, and even compress it to a smaller OAL with such compression ... but if the burning rate does not catch up with the volume of powder enough to thoroughly burn it and create those "pressures" and/or FPS, it will be irrelevant, and a lot of that powder will end at the range floor, unburned. On the other hand do that to a particularly fast burning powder in the specified application and you will have a "hand grenade".

You must understand the margins of the burn ratio and bullet weight for your application when you do your "snappy" loads, or fast powder/heavy bullets combos. Then you can do the balancing act, to your individual gun's content. :);)