Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Area 3 "performance"

cautery

Yin and Yang is all about balance right?

Bottom line up front... My performance at Area 3 was "less than stellar"... to put it mildly. Actually, I stunk the joint up. That's the bad news...

I came in 5th C Limited... I ran threw the numbers really quickly and t's very sad... I GAVE AWAY 120 points in Mikes and/or No-Shoots... FOUR Mikes on Stage 3 alone!! :(

Add those 120 points back into the mix, and I move to 2nd C; 31 points shy of a win.

Using the front sight ALL the time, and prepping the trigger ALL the time would have significantly reduced/eliminated that 120 point deficit... and would NOT have made me slower. Matter of fact, the stages that I was "under control" on were actually smoother/faster than the ones I point shot and slapped the trigger on.

The good news is that I "think" that's the best major match I've shot...

Bad news... I didn't perform nearly to my current potential.

Good news... I've learned enough to KNOW what things I did wrong, and what I need to work on (most of it anyway).... yeah, yeah... besides shooting the match clean. ;)

Bad news... I'm running out of major matches for this year...

Good news... At my current rate of improvement and practice intensity, I should place for the first time and/or move to B-class by the end of the season.

I know the feeling! I was 6th C Limited. My 2 disasters were stages 3 & 4, the rest were ok but not smooth. (Of course, my first 2 stages were 3 & 4, so I got off to a real bad start.) Add in 3 gun jams and starting with a not full mag on stage 6 (who put that one in there anyway!). My best stage was the classifier.

But, I still had a good time, thought the match was great, and things were handled smoothly. Mill Creek is a nice club. Congratulations to all who helped with the match!

Hopefully my performance at our Great Plains sectional, and the Nationals will go a little better. If I just learn to slow down a bit and concentrate! My scores at last years Area 3 were much more even.

A lousy match performance is a wonderful learning tool. All you can do is learn from whatever mistakes you may have made. I imagine a journal highlighting areas that you think need improvement would be helpful in your quest for shooting harmony.

Clay, if you shot as efficiently as you ran your stage at Space City, I'd be scared to shoot against you. See you soon.

Edited by GeneralChang

tobydog - 3 was near the end of my match (started on the classifier). it's clear that my intensity and focus are still fading at the end of my matches... and it's clearly due to (a lack of) conditioning. I'm working out pretty steadily, and hope to drop another 30 pounds or so before Area 2. Once I get a few more pounds off these 42 yr old knees, I'll be able to really start pushing the running/weights on the lower body. I believe getting a solid foundation under me that will last 10 or 12 stages will yield dividends in many ways to include smoothing out and quickening my movement. Right now, I can't move smoothly enough to shoot accurately on the move which hurts... a lot. Not to mention the cardio benefits of getting my legs under me... Getting the VO2 up should keep the brain well supplied which should help prevent the "focus drift" when I get tired.

A lousy match performance is a wonderful learning tool. All you can do is learn from whatever mistakes you may have made. I imagine a journal highlighting areas that you think need improvement would be helpful in your quest for shooting harmony.

Yup... I've begun keeping records of both my practices and matches. If you've never recorded your performances, it is kind of "amazing" how clearly your weak areas highlight themselves.

Clay, if you shot as efficiently as you ran your stage at Space City, I'd be scared to shoot against you. See you soon.

Heh, thanks Sheldon. :) Appreciate that. I'm working at it! Getting better at both I hope. Some day it'd be nice to have both parts of the game in balance. ;)

Clay,

It sounds like you had a great time. don't work too many weights, as you might get muscle bound, and not be able to move fast. The cardio stuff will help. I seem to find that adrenaline and butterflies both can be used to my advantage. your skills as RO and shooter are coming right along. I hope to see you at the Texas State Limited again this year.

good Luck !

Clay,

It sounds like you had a great time. don't work too many weights, as you might get muscle bound, and not be able to move fast. The cardio stuff will help. I seem to find that adrenaline and butterflies both can be used to my advantage. your skills as RO and shooter are coming right along. I hope to see you at the Texas State Limited again this year.

good Luck !

LOL!! Damon... Don't think there is ANY chance I will EVER be described as "muscle bound". ;) In any event, I do relatively high reps/low weight concentrating on full range and form. Not a bulk building program... mostly strength with flexibility. Agree on the cardio.... Can't really do too much cardio IMHO.

Yup, I'll be at the Texas Limited for sure... Weekend after Nationals. In fact, the way it looks now, I may just go straight from Quincy, IL to Breckenridge, TX. :) Working and shooting, and generally havin' a good time. :D No way I'd miss it! Had such a great time last year.

Clay,

good to hear it, I spoke with Artie yesterday at the SASS End of the Trails sShootout here close to my home in New Mexico. She stated everything was looking good for the TXSL 06.

Good Luck !