Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Power Pistol Powder

packed

for 40 cal, i loaded 6.6 grains and got over 180 power factor with a most bright muzzle flash

in the 9mm it works all the way up to major 9mm.

the 45, its probably too slow for it.

I started loading with PP, and back then my goal was the hottest, fastest most manly ammo I could make. I wasn't competing then and actually liked the most recoil I could get. :) That's not true anymore. :)

My first matches were bowling pin matches and I needed to push a 9 hard enough to compete with .45s, so PP was still good.

Once I got into IPSC and steel, my priorities changed and I went wimpy. :)

So if you want power, PP is great stuff...If you want to make factor with less perceived recoil, titegroup is hard to beat although I now prefer VV 320 for most non-open loads.

Jerry Miculek is rumored to like PP in open guns, but I also heard that may be because he had a bunch of it already...Maybe someone close to him can confirm or deny that.

SA

I used it (as seen on another thread) to make Major when I ran out of time trying to get a faster powder to make major with a light bullet in my 610. I think I used something like 8.2 gr of PP in a 40 with a 140gr Moly coated lead bullet to make Major handily at 1350 fps. It sure was snappy, loud, obnoxious, and accurate. When I tried using Red Dot and Ramshot Competition, they were edging towards major, but could not be relied on and velocities were erratic. I loaded 20 of each and chrono'ed them, PP was the most consistent at that load with that bullet. I ran out of time and loaded like 400 for the match. They took steel down RIGHT NOW! ;)

I've used it with some success as a major powder in my 38 super with 135's, it would be a good alternate powder. I currently use SR4756, then Longshot, some surplus HS7 I have, and then Power Pistol. Mostly due to wanting to burn up the stuff I have.

Vince

• 4 weeks later...

Power pistol seemed to work good in my super. 4 port hybrid was NASTY under any kind of cover shooting

loud

4 foot flames

double ear protection is a must!!

reminds me of top fuel dragsters at nite!

COOL to watch, not fun to listen to.

Harmon