Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need Some Powder Suggestions

steel1212

I currently load 9mm, .45 acp, and .223. I'll be loading 38 special/ and 357 magnum. I know I'll be needing something for the 357 and of course I use something diffrent for the .223 lol. Is there an accurate powder that I can use for the 9mm/.45/38 special? I currently use titegroup for the 9mm and .45.

Just looked on hodgdon's site and they have titegroup listed for all of the 9mm/.45/38 and even for the 357 but it looks a little off 6.1 grains of titegroup and 16 grains of H4227 for a 158 grain xtp bullet for the 357.

Edited by steel1212

What do you want to do with the .357? Plink? Hunt? Competition?

If you just want to plink, TG will work fine. If you want more powderful loads, there are a lot of powders that will work better. If you'll clarify what you want to do with it, it'll make it easier for us to make recommendations.

Well, mainly it would be a 50 yarder plinking type, maybe a back up hog gun. I've liked hodgdon so far and was looking at their H4227 if I end up loading much .357. I'll mainly be useing it for 38 loads.

If you want to stick with Hodgdon, Titegroup will work fine for .38/9mm/.45. I'd go with H110 for the full power loads. For hogs, go with a 158 grain soft point or hard cast bullet, or a 170-180 grain bullet.