Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Why 40 Minor Fo Production?

tenchu74

There are quite a few top Production shooter that shoot 40. I shoot 40 (Top 10 at Nationals). Todd Sindelar does. Mink did (when he shot the Glock). Plenty of others...

Carina Burns did an article on it for Front Sight a little while back.

There are a number of threads on this subject here on the forum already (I just found them with a search or two).

Here is one, with a poll, that Carina started: http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?...=21663&hl=minor

I don't think there is any advantage or disadvantage...shooting-wise...to be seen between 40 and 9mm (for USPSA Production).

I happen to shoot a 40 caliber Glock, which I used to make Grand Master in Limited. My Major load converts easily to a great Minor load (just a little less TiteGroup is the only change).

There is no secret formula here. I don't really think anybody is counting on the difference between a 9mm bullet and a 10mm bullet giving them an advantage. If they are, then they are way ahead of me on checking things off the list of stuff to worry about. And, while it is likely true that the 40 feels a tab softer shooting...what is that? I mean, really, we are talking about comparing mousefart Minor loads. None of that shows up on the timer.

Pick 40...or, pick 9mm...bases on what works better for you logistically. There is no real gain or loss to be had in shootability.

Well since there are now over 20 GM's I would say more are shooting 9 than 40, but that shouldn't influence your choice. The only thing that matters is that you the shooter like how the gun functions. With the 40 with a 180 you feel the slide is too sluggish use a lighter bullet. If in a 9 the recoil is too snappy use a heavier bullet. If the cost of ammo is influencing your choice you are looking at this the wrong way.

Rich

I don't really think anybody is counting on the difference between a 9mm bullet and a 10mm bullet giving them an advantage. If they are, then they are way ahead of me on checking things off the list of stuff to worry about

I totally agree, with Rich too, the pointI was trying (poorly) to make is that if the Best guys are shooting both (some 9mm / some .40) then they both probably work fine.

I went down that road about 4months ago.I can't see the advantage to shooting 40 minor. The recoil impluse was different and felt very strange. Maybe something you really have to get use to. It was not enough to make me switch. 147gr 9mm is about as soft as it gets.