Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gunsmithing: Need To Replace Beretta Extractor

Matt Griffin

Folks,

I'm fairly handy, but there's always payoff in asking those who already know. I need to replace my extractor on a 96g Elite II. I see the pin that holds it, but before I start whacking away, could I get some friendly advice?

1. Does the pin favor going in/out in one direction or another, like a front sight?

2. I believe the extractor tension is just a product of the extractor against the frame, not a spring, correct?

3. Should the pin be loctited in after installation, or is the pin friction enough?

4. Anything at all that I'm not thinking about?

My rough plan is to punch out the pin, put in the new extractor, punch the pin back in to the same depth, and leave it alone. What am I missing?

H.

Tap the pin out from inside the slide to the outside (on a slight slant). There IS a small spring at the back end of the extractor. After you install the new extractor just "stake" the pin. In other words, tap the top of slide in the narrow groove to slightly deform the metal so the pin can't ride up.

(Some say the black extractors are more durable than the stainless ones.)

Tap the pin out from inside the slide to the outside (on a slight slant). There IS a small spring at the back end of the extractor. After you install the new extractor just "stake" the pin. In other words, tap the top of slide in the narrow groove to slightly deform the metal so the pin can't ride up.

(Some say the black extractors are more durable than the stainless ones.)

Thanks for the information. The claw snapped off at ~4000 rounds, and it was a stainless.

H.