Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

_ Crossover Classifiers

Bill

I have been thinking about the discussions about IPSC & IDPA Classifications being one more difficult than the other or the various classes not being in line with one another.

How about if the shooters at this forum shot the other discipline's Classifiers? That way we could find out how close they are. Some of you already shoot both.

I shot USPSA/IPSC for 15 years until all the local clubs switched to IDPA. I now shoot IDPA. When I was shooting USPSA my high classifications were 83.890 Open & 83.364 Limited. Almost Master but not quite. In IDPA I have recently (after much practice) moved into Master in SSP, ESP & SSR. I have not yet reached Master in CDP. I think the break at Master is pretty close. There is no Grand Master in IDPA although there are a few who could be in it.

I have been looking at the USPSA web site at the classifiers. Several of these I shot back in the 1980's I guess if they were good then they still are. How about if a few of the IPSC shooters picked 3 or 4 USPSA classifiers for the IDPA shooters to shoot. How about Hoser Heaven? It used to be known as 88-6. I liked to shoot it back then. Or some others that are easy to set up but still are challanging.

The IDPA classifier is available at http://www.idpa.com Remember the reloads are either slidelock or tac reloads. You can use an IPSC target but need to draw an 8 inch circle for the "A" zone. Put the top of the circle one inch below the top of the A zone on the IPSC target and it will be close enough for our purposes. Use a Limited or Production gun so the comparison will be close. Of course nothing says you can't use a scoped open gun, just tell us. I still have some left over IPSC targets to use.

We can post the results here. The percentages for IDPA are posted at their web site. We may need to do some math to compare IPSC scores.

What do you think? I know many of the USPSA shooters are going to the Nationals this week & I am going to the IDPA Nationals the first week in October so it won't be until after that. I think it will be fun.

Bill Nesbitt

Bill:

I shoot both IPSC and IDPA and I started both at the same time, 18 months ago. It is kind of tough to compare because one can practice the IDPA classifier over and over again. I can tell you that as an upper C (moving to B) IPSC shooter, I just made Expert in CDP. I think that is because of my background in PPC, NRA, etc. where accuracy is more important than speed.

I honestly believe that I will make Master in IDPA (CDP) about the time I hit A class in IPSC, but that's just a best guess.

• 3 weeks later...

It would be very interesting to see how the two compare. I am a C class production shooter, almost B, and am an Expert SSP shooter.

a friend recently made master in CDP, and is an Open A class  IPSC shooter, he had a good run on the classifier, he was a B class shooter in limited. with the same gun (kimber polymer)

i just picked up some IDPA and USPSA targets, maybe if i get hold of some extra ammo i will do a little home comparrison.