Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which Parts Suffer From A Light Recoil Spring?

cz75ipsc

I did a search, didn't come up with any answers (that should be my sig so I wouldn't have to write it every time =)

I switched to a Light Recoilmaster spring on my Heavy Recoilmaster. That is, I just swapped the big spring in my Heavy RM to a replacement one of a Light RM. Improved the heck out of recoil feel.

My concern is increased stress on the gun. Which parts do you think (or better yet, know) will suffer the most fatigue? I'm thinking grip, frame, maybe rear sight... I'm just considering which parts to order as spares. And don't try to talk me out of using a lighter spring, I've made up my mind =D

Oh yeah, the gun is an Edge in .40, I'm shooting PF 180ish ammo. Thanks everyone.

I've been running an 11 lb. spring in my STI since it was new. I have a little over 60,000 rounds through it after 6 years of use and have had no problems. I do run a shok-buff but the recoil masters short spring at the rear works the same as a shok-buff. I'm running a recoil master in my Sons 9mm open gun.

I wouldn't worry about it.

My .40 edge type gun that had a full on "light" recoilmaster, had the follwing issues crop up:

The back of the recoil spring plug tunnel got slightly peened/hammered from battering the head of the recoilmaster/frame, causing the tunnel hole to be undersize tight, and flared looking. Made removal of the guide rod plug tough, til I removed some metal.

The recoilmaster itself broke at the collar that retained the recoil spring, causing it to be under-powered and make the gun jam, but still function - didn't notice the breakage til the gun was torn down to diagnose the issue (happened twice, both during matches, 2 different sub 5K round recoilmasters).

Didn't happen a third time because I now use tungsten or steel with a 12.5 pound spring, and buff. No problems ;)

I suspect your Heavy model with a light spring may run into similar breakage issues at some point. Recoilmasters are great, just carry spares.

Edited by sfinney

I put a good many major PF loads through my .40 Kimber with an 11# spring. No real issues. I do use the .200 Heitt buff. The 12.5 works just as well with a little more cushion. Not sure whose buff I will use when I run out of Heitts. The only wear I see is on the frame where the barrel rests when it is out of battery. There is a little fore and aft peening.