Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Target Distances For Training

roach

I am currently gathering information on building a small range on our land.

I need to figure out what distance to put the main shooting bench and tables. Most of our shooting will be pistols at steel targets. A main Plate Rack and some Hanging stuff will be made to stay there and be permanently installed.

So, I am trying to decide what size circles and what distance would be best for pistol practice.

Any input would be great. Photos too. Love them photos. :) I will keep a file available when I am done of pictures and ideas I gathered during the process to help others doing the same thing.

+1... You'd like to be able to shoot at 75 yards, and 50 is really a must. For USPSA/IPSC, you'd like to get practice in at all distances - 1-75 yards (while we almost never see anything longer than 35, the control learned at longer range is awesome).

On my back yard range I have some hanging steel pistol targets on the left of the range. The shelter is 40 yards behind the steel. I built a portable shooting bench http://www.boogerbench.com/ so I can move it around as needed. I have some small cable reels to move around for tables as needed also. I can move back as far as 135 yards for rifle and move closer for pistol. With all the portable stuff I'm not locked to anything.

I have built several ranges and been involved in several others..all with the intent of shooting IPSC/USPSA and IDPA...

you need a max of 50 yds and a square range about 25 yds wide and 75 to 100 yds deep...you can do everything you need to do there...

• 2 weeks later...

A big part of it is fairly dependant on your discipline. If your shooting competition then you should focus on the distance requirements of that. For example PPC outdoor shooters should focus on from 25 to 50 yards. If you are into steel challenge then a majority of your focus should be 30 to 50 feet. If you are into defensive pistol shooting then your main area of practice should be at 50 feet and less with a majority of the focus less than 30 feet.