Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Speer Bullets

Okay, I've tried to find posts on speer bullet use in USPSA and found none. So, does anyone have any experience with Speer bullets in 180 grain 40 S&W and/or 124 grain 38 Super loads? I've always used Zero and Montana Gold since Speer was a bit more money and am curious if the Speers would react the same as Zero's?

Thanks,

Personally, I would expect any well built jacketed bullet to perform about the same as any other well built jacketed bullet. I've had good accuracy over the years in different calibers from Speer, Remington, Winchester, Sierra, Hornady, Nosler, Montana Gold, Zero, etc. Jacketed pistol bullets in general always got the accuracy I expected. I suspect that the reason you don't see Speer bullets in use is that they just cost too much for the competitive shooter unless that person is sponsored by Speer and they can get all the bullets they want. Same goes for Hornady, Sierras, <insert premium bullet brand here> and that's why most of us, if we choose to shoot Jacketed go with Montana Golds, Zero's, Armscors, or what have you. You can buy cases of these things for a bit less money than you can by the 100 or even 250 pack from the premium bullet makers.

I've stopped shooting Jacketed bullets in all the calibers I shoot except for 38 super because I'm not pushing them all that hard and get adequate accuracy from the Bear Creek Moly coated lead bullets I like to use. Some people like the other makers like Master Blaster or Precision and it's their choice. For the most part, Speers will more than likely meet your expectations should you choose to shoot them. They've always worked well for me when I purchased them for the pistol calibers. At the time I was not shooting all that much and a few hundred was all I needed. I was not in the know about Armscor or Montana Golds or Zero's yet, and at the time did not purchase bullets by the boatloads that I do now.

Vince

I have been shooting the Speer 180 FMJ's in my Edge since I got it a year ago. I have shot several cases of them and they have been extremely consistent and shoot great in front of 4.9 grs of TG. I have never shot Zero's as a comparison but I can't imagine any bullet being better than the Speers. Equal to possibly, but not better than.

I have been getting them (along with a few STI's) from this guy (Mike) as he is local. He recently became a STI distributor but was a master dealer previously. Mike has STI's in stock when STI themselves doesn't even have it.

Thunder Mountain Custom

Since he was carrying Speer bullets, he started selling their over runs and eneded up starting up a whole other page for bullets.

The Bullet Guy

Neal in AZ

It all depends on the OD of the bullet and how it fits your particular barrel. Generally the problem is having a barrel on the upper side and bullets on the lower side. Don't know until you try...

I have shot Speer lawman for the last 13 years or so in 9mm, 40 S&W, and I believe 45 ACP and they are without a doubt my favorite round. They are accurate, fires all the time, and remarkably clean. I shoot Glocks exclusively and they work great. I have not fired them in any other gun but I do not see any issues other than a gun related brand of problem.

Go for it!

I also carry and shoot Gold Dots.

Edited by K-9

• 1 month later...

I just went through a couple thousand of the CCI/Speer 180 TMJs over 5 grains of N320 in Rem cases with WSPMs at 1.160". My older barrels need this much powder to get 950 fps and you may need less. I reordered as many I can get as they shot very well in the older Schuemann barrels I have and fed like water through my SVs.

Mick