Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Backup Drive Image To Nas

Is there anything free or reasonably cheap that will backup a computer's entire drive image to a network-attached storage subsystem and also restore back to that computer? I have a fleet of laptops that are used in the field to teach elementary school afterschool programs and want to be able to keep a known stable image of a given computer on NAS and then refresh that computer from the backup after such times as the kiddies (and sometimes the instructors) introduce unstable elements to the computer. All are running winxp home. Thanks in advance for any help or thoughts. Bn

Not free, but I use Ghost to do that all the time. I actually would recommend checking out DeepFreeze or DriveShield to make the image stay stable regardless of what gets done to it. PM me if you want/need/care for more details. :)

Mike

Not free either, but in additional to Ghost, I use Drive Image Pro and Image Center-Deploy Center 5.5 from Symantec.

Both are basically the same product, just that after Symantec bought out the company, they renamed it. Both will allow you to have a master image on a server and cast the images over a network. (And all this from 2 floppies) :)