Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Longer Distance Shots...one Eye?

Gti18T

I am getting pretty used to shooting both eyes open at closer targets, but it seems like the targets that are like 25+ in the competitions i find it easier to close one eye and really focus with the other one. Is this bad? should i be keeping both open all the time? Thanks

Dan

I don't know if it is right or not, but I squint down some with my left eye (right handed and right eye dominant) on really tight or long shots. I don't need to close it, just squint it down a little and it really sharpens the focus for a short period of time.

Be sure you don't do it very often or for very long, it fatigues your dominant eye MUCH faster than when shooting with both eyes open and could really hamper the rest of the stage.

Try squinting it a bit in practice, it will help with the fatigue in your dominant eye. Also be aware of how much and for how long you are doing it. Bad habits are easier to break before they get burned in.

I've found that for me, closing one eye on any shot actually makes it harder for me to focus. I spend part of the time counter-acting the muscles trying to re-open the eye. I keep both eyes open regardless of distance and sight choosing to keep both open for 100+ yard shots (with one eye looking through a scope). Though not everyone can do this. I think this stems from my years of shotgun shooting where keeping both eyes open was important.

Vince