Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Jpoint Mounted On Top Of Acog

Thinking about getting an ACOG / JPoint combo (mounted on top of ACOG) for my son for his open class rifle. For those of you who have tried this or currently run this set up, I'd like to here your thoughts. Pros / Cons?

He has tried my JP close quarter irons mounted on the handguard and is not a fan as he has to push his face down to use the sight. He also does not like canting the rifle, so I don't think a higher dot on the handguard will be a good option for him either.

Note, he is currently running a Weaver 1-3X in a Larue 1.5. The ACOG I'm considering is the 4X JP TA01 or TA31F. He likes the wider field of view on the 4X ACOG and likes the 4X boost from the 3X weaver. Big dollars for the set up and not sure if he will gain all that much over what he has.

Thanks for the help,

Nick-

Nick, I have this setup on an AR I plan to use for the Raton team match in Aug. and like it very well. I already had the ACOG (tao1nsn) and put the J-point on just this year, played with it quite a bit and has proven to me that it is a viable option. That said I still prefer the Meopta 1X4 for any conventional 3 gun match. For the same or less money there are a lot choices that preform as well or better, just because he is in open doesn't mean he has to run two optics. Setting on top of the ACOG the off set is more extreme (bullet hits lower than poa on very close targets) unless some care is taken to zero the jpoint at close range. I'm still playing with this and haven't decided at what range to zero. If the jpoint is zeroed at 100 yd. han it hits 4 inches low at 10 yd.