Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Learning From My Son

chp5

So I guess one of MY life lessons is not to expect my son to like the same things I like and don’t expect him to be a “mini-me.” He’s 10 now and is own person.

At his age, my favorite things were sports. To my surprise, my son decided not to sign up for football this coming fall (sign-ups were today). He played the last two years and was always the smallest/lightest kid on the team. In the game of football, that’s generally a bad thing. However, he improved greatly and learned a lot. It also made him tougher – physically and mentally.

We play little league football in our county based on age. Other counties play by weight. Last year, Chip was 55 pounds. Three kids on his 9 year old team were >155 pounds – and two of them were extremely athletic!!

Chip playing against a 155 pound kid is like me (195 pounds) playing against 555 pound guys. :o I can’t help but think he decided not to play because he was scared to play. That bothers me - and maybe it shouldn’t.

Chip told me that, even though all his friends were going to play, he decided football was not his sport and he was “going to be his own man.” :) He’s right – and he truly is not afraid to be his own [little] man. I’m very proud of him.

Edited by chp5

Chip told me that, even though all his friends were going to play, he decided football was not his sport and he was “going to be his own man.” :) He’s right – and he truly is not afraid to be his own [little] man. I’m very proud of him.

+1 to a 10 year old kid who knows what is right for him! This young fella is going to grow up to be a fine man. You must be doing something right Dad. :)

+1 to a 10 year old kid who knows what is right for him! This young fella is going to grow up to be a fine man. You must be doing something right Dad. :)

Thanks for this and the other kind replies!

I appreciate it.

Round Gun Shooter - didn't you used to have a Corgi in your signature line? We have one - she's a great dog.

Be VERY PROUD Cy!

Now, when's Chip shooting a match with Nelson and Francisco?

Looking forward to that.

Nemo,

I hope soon, but he doesn't have the desire yet. I take him to the range with me sometimes, but he gets tired of it quickly.

Someday I hope to get him shooting like your two fine sons! You really are a role model in that area.