Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tear It Up

ParaJoe

Looks pretty good. If you can cut down the motion in your right hand, it might help make it more efficient - looks like a lot of stuff going on there (though reaching the mag button can be tough, requiring a gun shift). You might could be a little bit quicker getting to the mag with your left hand, too - let that arm relax and snap it to the pouch.

The reload looks o.k. but from what I can see when I slow it down you need to get that finger off the trigger quicker and not get it back on too soon. You're getting the finger back on the trigger as you seat the mag. That will get you a D.Q. with a quickness. I'm speaking strictly from experience (X3).

Edited by Bigbadaboom

Looks pretty good. If you can cut down the motion in your right hand, it might help make it more efficient - looks like a lot of stuff going on there (though reaching the mag button can be tough, requiring a gun shift). You might could be a little bit quicker getting to the mag with your left hand, too - let that arm relax and snap it to the pouch.

When I try to go faster with the left hand I tend to launch the magazine into low Earth orbit. I'm working on it though. I put a G21 mag release on the gun and it seems to help push the button but I'm still having to flip the pistol in order to reach it.

The reload looks o.k. but from what I can see when I slow it down you need to get that finger off the trigger quicker and not get it back on too soon. You're getting the finger back on the triger as you seat the mag. That will get you a D.Q. with a quickness. I'm speaking strictly from experience (X3).

Experience is the greatest teacher, but lessons are the most expensive. I didn't make that up, someone said it but I don't know who. Thanks for the tip. I can't seem to get it slow enough to see it so I will take your word for it and work this out.

Thanks, JOe

When I try to go faster with the left hand I tend to launch the magazine into low Earth orbit.

I didn't say slam it into the gun quicker ;) From hand on gun to hand on mag at the belt - that's the portion of the movement I'm talking about. Sounds like you have a control issue in seating the mag - start off running "Burkett reload drills" (per Anderson's book, and Matt himself...). Bring the mag up and stop right before it gets into the gun. You can't do that if you're not in control. Do everything at normal speed until right there. Speed up getting to the pouch, and then stopping - in control - at the mag well.

After that, work reloads with a mag in the gun to drop out. Get that left hand down in a flash and focus on pausing as you watch the spent mag clear the gun. At first, stop just like you did in the Burkett drill. As you build that, it will also help you in situations where a mag doesn't drop or clear right away for some reason - your quick load will suddenly be controlled the whole way, and you'll be able to smoothly complete what could have been a disasterous reload.

If you watch the really fast guys reload (T_T, TJ, Jake DiVita) they've basically got their left hand on the mag in the pouch as they're beginning to hit the mag release - and they're not waiting to hit the release, either.... The left hand controls the speed of the reload - at least until the point that it starts outracing the ability of the right hand to operate the mag release and get the mag cleared.... ;)

JOe,

I can't see the mag fall out of the pistol? :blink:

Ivan

He's doing it Steve Anderson style. No mag in the gun to start, just pushing the mag button and loading a mag.

Joe, I think that, for critique purposes, you should go ahead and drop a mag when you video it. This will help in seeing if you are twisting the gun too soon which will not allow the mag to drop fast enough.

Edited by Bigbadaboom

When I try to go faster with the left hand I tend to launch the magazine into low Earth orbit.

Sounds like you have a control issue in seating the mag

I do. I am so used to slamming the mag into my Para because that's how I had to do it. SLAM it. Then I start shooting the Glock and the mags don't take as much to seat because I'm only loading the mags to 10 (L-10) or 18 (Limited). I've been working on the left hand speed but I think it's going to take a little time on that.

Ivan, like Big said, I was doing them SA style without one in it. From the looks of it, I need to be having one in it.

Keep it coming, I'm off to practice. :ph34r:

JOe