Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Thoughts On Positive Thinking

So we have spoken on this forum before on the effects of positive thinking. But I got to thinking today on what exactly works for me... I have experienced the badness of thinking during a walk through "don't hit that no shoot" or "don't miss here because you will go to slide lock".

And sure enough that is exactly what I do. But I think just thinking about making the shot might not be enough for some people, including myself. As I gain more experience I find that more and more I just think "hit that" and I do it. However, there can be times when I have a shot which is on the edge of what I think are my abilities.

For me what has always helped in those situation is to focus on the positive things that will make the shot, not just the shot as a whole. What I mean is, think about a perfect sight alignment and trigger squeeze. Just think about the positive things which will make the shot. "With winning in mind" mentions that our positive thoughts must be honest. Most of the shooters out there can align the sights and squeze the trigger with a minimum of sight movement, including myself. Perhaps for some newer shooters thinking in this way can help.

Or I am just crazy,

Ira

I've recently found myself confronting a stage for the first time, thinking that a particular target or prop is quite challenging, and my initial reaction is to become fearful about it (at the root, that's what "man, that's a tough shot", or "this prop is going to eat my lunch", or "look at all those no-shoots" is all about - fear of failure). That's been a signal to stop and assess the real challenge, rather than the emotionally perceived one. Then, I focus on what's gotten me to the level I'm at now - I know how to make tight/tough shots, I know I have the skills to do it, and I've done it a bunch before. I know I have what it takes to get it done. With props, I remember that I've negotiated some tricky props before, too, and my focus should be on remaining safe, and just doing what needs to be done in a precise fashion.

Then I tell myself essentially "you can do it" and give myself permission to succeed. It sounds funny... but, there it is ;)

After that, I just program exactly what it is that I need to see to make that shot or manipulate that prop, and "let 'er go"!!!

It's easy to get wrapped up in "can't" in those situations and look at all the stuff you're not capable of doing. What we should be doing, instead, is being creative and finding the different ways we can do it... ;)

So we have spoken on this forum before on the effects of positive thinking. But I got to thinking today on what exactly works for me... I have experienced the badness of thinking during a walk through "don't hit that no shoot" or "don't miss here because you will go to slide lock".

And sure enough that is exactly what I do.

Just like golf. As you start your downswing, you hear the voice: "Whatever you do, don't:"

1) Hook it into the water

2) Push it over the road

and you do whatever the last thing was you said not to do.

However, there can be times when I have a shot which is on the edge of what I think are my abilities.
You should never let your mind think any shot is beyond your abilities. Assume you will align and fire and it will go where aimed. Doubt is universally destructive because it fosters "compensating" behavior. If you actually believe it's beyond your abilities, you shouldn't shoot. If you shoot, you need to believe it will go where aimed.
For me what has always helped in those situation is to focus on the positive things that will make the shot, not just the shot as a whole. What I mean is, think about a perfect sight alignment and trigger squeeze. Just think about the positive things which will make the shot.
I like to make sure the voice is saying: "OK, done this a thousand times. You already know how."

Then you don't have to worry about technique, just focus on doing one thing at a time (not how to do that thing, you already know how).

1) AIM. Alignment OK?

2) Sqeeze

Edited by bountyhunter

However, there can be times when I have a shot which is on the edge of what I think are my abilities.
You should never let your mind think any shot is beyond your abilities. Assume you will align and fire and it will go where aimed. Doubt is universally destructive because it fosters "compensating" behavior. If you actually believe it's beyond your abilities, you shouldn't shoot. If you shoot, you need to believe it will go where aimed.

Note I did say at the edge of my abilities... That is part of my thinking; I am totaly and very capable of proper sight alignment and trigger control. Therefore any shot is possible for me.

For me what has always helped in those situation is to focus on the positive things that will make the shot, not just the shot as a whole. What I mean is, think about a perfect sight alignment and trigger squeeze. Just think about the positive things which will make the shot.
I like to make sure the voice is saying: "OK, done this a thousand times. You already know how."

Then you don't have to worry about technique, just focus on doing one thing at a time (not how to do that thing, you already know how).

1) AIM. Alignment OK?

2) Sqeeze

Yes exactly, when all else fails focus on the basics, and the basics are easy! Therefore positive thinking takes care of itself! :D

I guess what I am trying to say is that for someone who has not seen it all, or does not have the oportunity to have practiced it all, the above can help. A perfect example is the first time I shot a TX star (less than a month ago BTW). I actually cleared it in 6 shots. The shooting of the star was easy because I fell back on the basics. Brian actually touched on this in his book. I don't remember where but he was talking about dealing with match situations which you have never seen before. Perhaps I got the idea from him... :unsure:

Ira