Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

On Ti Cylinders

Nemo

I just got a Ti cylinder from S&W for my 625 and both, cylinder and gun, should go to Apex VERY SOON to get Randyized. :rolleyes:

But I have some questions...

What kind of difference in wear (provided it gets shot the same amount) should I expect from the Ti vs. the SS?

A S&W rep told me in a recent phone conversation that HE didn't recommend the Ti cyls because they have been known to chip. Has anybody experienced this?

The extractor assembly in the Ti cyl is significantly different than the one in the SS. Would this require changing of any other parts?

Now the crossroads: I have two 625's, a -2 and a -3.

The -2 I've had for about 10 years and it has been shot A LOT. I bought it with some work already done to it: crane ball detent (single, not the Randy double), trigger stop, rounder trigger, bobbed hammer, SDM front and Millet rear sights. It works but it's old and it shows.

The -3 I acquired very recently. Bought it from a friend that buys the stuff and never shoots. He sent it to the PC and had a trigger job (which BTW is better than what I get with Jerry's spring kit in the -2), rounded trigger, trigger stop and bobbed hammer. It also has a Millet rear sight. I shot a match with it last Saturday and it worked 100%. My friend says that he maybe fired some 200 rounds when he got it back from the PC. The gun is in Like New condition, except for the mods.

WHICH ONE DO I SEND TO RANDY? Want to hear what you guys think.

Bring it on

B)

Edited by Nemo

If the older -2 has a good barrel, send it. Shoot the crap out of the -3, and send it later if needed.

My problem when I have 2 of the same model, is switching off. Greener Grass, ya know! But, it's nice to have a good spare.

So many questions….what fun!

Lessee, I put my first Ti cylinder in my “A” gun about October last year followed by the second one in the “B” gun about two months later. I have shot between 3 and 7 matches per month with very little practice in between. I haven’t done a very good job of keeping track of round count, but rough guesstimation probably puts me somewhere north of 5000 rounds by now. I’ve definitely gone through more than a case of primers and a few of those matches (DTC, Old Fort, Ark Sectional, etc) had decent round counts.

How are they wearing? It’s clear that the parts are used, but putting a SS with hundreds of rounds through it next to a Ti cylinder with thousands of rounds through it shows little difference. They both have light rings and some discernable notch wear, but they *are* S&W revolvers. I’ve also proven in the past to be hard on these guns. I was about 6 months into my second SS cylinder on my “A” gun when I decided to try the Ti. My first SS cylinder was probably toast after a year of shooting (I fed it one cylinder stop after another for 4 more months) so I’m probably about 5 months from equaling that kind of service life. The complicating factor is that I’ve started switching guns as I’ve been making modifications.

Chipping? I can see where that’s a possibility, but it hasn’t been a functional issue yet. A month ago I put the “A” gun through some severe treatment (even by my standards). I had installed an oversized stop to see if I could improve the guns accuracy, then, in one weekend I shot the OKC match, two Tulsa matches, and was starting a fourth OKC match (all without cleaning the gun ~450 rounds) and it started throwing by. I assumed my new tighter stop/notch clearances had filled so I swapped to “B” and carried on. I will watch this gun during future matches to see if something starts to chip. So far I can see some cosmetic features in the finish at the notch edge, but that’s it.

I’ve posted elsewhere about parts swapping. I put in my old star and set the BC gap and end play. That was it.

Your last question? Ha! You’ll be ruined after you get the first one back so it doesn’t matter. The only real question is if Randy accepts beaters in for the treatment. If he does, keep the one you shoot best today until your new favorite gun gets back from Randy. Then figure out where you’re gonna scrape together the money to send in the next one.

B)

Hi Nemo,

First to address the chipping- this was seen on the front faces of the cylinders on the .357 magnum 340 and 386's when they first came out. This was due to the sharp square faces on each of the cylinder throats. Since then, Smith has cut a generous chamfer on the front face of each chamber. Hi pressure loads contributed to this problem.

With the hybrid 625 w/325 cylinders, I haven't seen any chipping. Same goes for the 627s with the 327 cylinder swap.

Wear on the cylinder where it contacts the cylinder stop is minimal in comparison with the steel version given the same amount of shooting/abuse(At least on my 627 which has the greatest number of rounds thru it.)

I haven't put enough rounds thru the 625 to determine the wear on the c-stop slots. The frankengun is nearly complete, then I'll start pushing it at the matches.

I recently did a 25-2 for a forum member in CO. With the new cylinder and a little elbow grease, his gun turned out rather nice.

Check to see if your older 625 has an elongated center pin hole in the frame. It may need to go back to the factory for replacement if it is excessive. Someone on this forum has had to do this to his primary gun. ;)

If the frame looks good, I'd send in the trusty sidekick in for some new shoes. The new cylinder assembly has to be fitted so the side benefit is that the gun is automatically retimed to new condition.

There are several shooters on this forum who already have Ti cylinders in their 625s who also had me rework their triggers. C'mon guys, spill the beans!

Check to see if your older 625 has an elongated center pin hole in the frame. It may need to go back to the factory for replacement if it is excessive. Someone on this forum has had to do this to his primary gun. ;)

If the frame looks good, I'd send in the trusty sidekick in for some new shoes. The new cylinder assembly has to be fitted so the side benefit is that the gun is automatically retimed to new condition.

There are several shooters on this forum who already have Ti cylinders in their 625s who also had me rework their triggers. C'mon guys, spill the beans!

Okay, Okay, I'll chime in. My "Tundar the Barbarian / Captain Caveman" reloading technique caused one of my 625's that Randy did to have to go back to S&W for a new frame...elongated the hole in the frame from slamming it shut too hard (note to self...me no like sissy steel cylinder...Titanium GOOOOOOOD...Steel BAAAAAAAAAD). Anyway, they sent it back and covered it under warranty!!! Caveman likeee nice man at S&W...him friend.

As for the Ti cylinders, wear has been negligible (both stops and cylinders). Granted, I have only 2000 rounds through each of my guns (Randy made me twin sisters :wub: ), but they seem to be doing quite well. The triggers (level IV trigger jobs) both come in at 4.2 pounds, and I have solid ignition with federal primers that are hand-seated. The fiber optic front site coupled with a rear Millet site and bobbed hammers do quite nicely for me on both guns. Chamfering was top notch, and I had him do the steel cylinders as well just in case I get into a pinch. Topped it off with Miculek grips on both, and I am a happy camper.

Now, if I could just get Randy to do this stuff for free I would be all set!!! Seriously, it was worth every penny. I invested just as much into the guns as each of them cost from the store, but now I have two TOTALLY tricked-out revos to shoot with confidence, and have the peace of mind knowing that if one breaks, I'm not screwed. Definitely well worth the investment IMHO.

I would highly recommend Randy to anyone needing to get their revo set-up right. He stands behind his work, and won't be rushed, as it would mean turning out an inferior product...gotta respect that in a guy. The pride he takes in his work is amazing. I HIGHLY recommend getting your guns to him during the winter (just after X-mas) if you want to have them for the first match in spring. You gotta be on top of it, and think ahead of time. Remember the old saying: "A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part". Words to live by. The 6-8 week turnaround-time is VERY accurate...he doesn't bullshit you about when you'll get your gun!!!

DVC,

Jeff

Ok Randy...do I get my free Level IV trigger job now??? Remember...advertising costs!!! :P

Edited by Barrettone

Thank you very much gentlemen and cavemen, as well!

I know so much about revolvers that I had to look at an exploded drawing to find what the center pin is. When I get home today I'll check the center pin hole for elongation and if it's good condition I may send Randy the old beater. As said here, I'm sure after I get the first one the second one will follow.

Man, between sponsoring my sons and having race revolvers made, I'm gonna need a part-time job sweeping brass from the range floor...

Thank you very much gentlemen and cavemen, as well!

I know so much about revolvers that I had to look at an exploded drawing to find what the center pin is. When I get home today I'll check the center pin hole for elongation and if it's good condition I may send Randy the old beater. As said here, I'm sure after I get the first one the second one will follow.

Man, between sponsoring my sons and having race revolvers made, I'm gonna need a part-time job sweeping brass from the range floor...

there's better Part Time jobs...

Like pumping Porta-Pottys in Mid summer or Mopping Peep Show Rooms!!

Y

Y

Some times I wonder how I've remained your friend for so long... <_<

:D

Y

Some times I wonder how I've remained your friend for so long... <_<

:D

Cause I'm heck of a nice guy!! B)B)B)B)

Ok here it goes...

1. Talked to Randy today

2. Came back home

3. Inspected Center pin holes

4. Older 625 has very elongated hole

5. New 625 leaving to Kali tomorrow for a Level IV

... oh, and Jeff, Randy's doing mine for free! :rolleyes:

:blink::huh:

Just kidding... :)

Ask Randy what happened to his trigger finger when he shot his friend's Smith with a factory trigger. That cracked me up, Señor Lee! :lol: