Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I Don't Need As Much Strong Hand On The Gun

Something I noticed today is that I wrap to much of my strong hand around the grip. I kept on trying to get as much as possible of my three wrap around fingers on the other side of the gun. I guess I was doing that in a subconcious effort to get a "stronger" grip on the gun, associating more wraparound with stronger. However I just noticed two things about that. First, if my fingers go to far around, that leaves less room for my offhand to make contact with the grip. Second, griping the gun that way, makes it point slightly to the left when aligned with my forearm.

I made an effort to grip the "less" of the gun during dryfire today, at I seem to get a much better final grip, and I find the sights quicker. All I have to do is try to wrap my thumb further around the grip, and that forces my entire hand to wrap around less. I don't know if this is going to be a trick of the day, but I'm going to practice it for a while and focus on it for a couple of matches.

An interesting side effect of this grip change is that it also puts less of my trigger finger on the trigger. With a DA first shot (CZ75), I ususally rest my finger on the trigger right before the first joint. With the "new" grip, I know touch the trigger with middle of the first pad, not the right side of the pad. That can't hurt either for the following shots, though it does make the first shot a bit slower for now.

I work on the same thing all the time. The big thing for me is getting more thumb around instead of fingers makes my front sight track straight up and straight back down. That makes really high speed hosing MUCH more accurate and my overall shooting faster and more accurate.

My CZ-85 trigger reach is too long for this grip though, I can barely get to the trigger for the first DA shot. I could work through it maybe, but will probably just keep the gun for a fun shooter.

• 3 weeks later...

The real trick of the day is to start with the gun in your weak hand & press the gun into the web of your strong hand first to find out what it feels like. I find that when I try to hurry the draw that I am gripping the gun at the thumb joint which makes my trigger placement too far in & shots go to the left. Make all your draws with gun exactly in the web & the barrel will align closer to the centerline of the body everytime. The weak hand placement then controls whether the barrel points slightly left or right & with adjustment will enable you to hit a target @ 5 yards with your eyes closed.

Edited by LPatterson

One problem I've run into is when my palms get sweaty, my support hand will slip off the gun during recoil. Anyone have any tips for this?

Grip tape works great. I suggest TruGrip from www.ericwesselman.com

If your gun is not on his list, you can buy some skateboard tape and stick that on the grip.