Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

650 "footprint"

While waiting for my press I downloaded the 650 manual. It's saying I need a 1" overhang on my bench. Needless to say, I don't have any overhang on my bench at all.

What I do have is a nice 8" square piece of 1/2 steel plate. Thought I'd just drill and tap it for the 650, then bolt it to my bench with a 1" overhang.

The bench is framed with lots of 10 gauge steel tube, then the top consists of 2" of plywood with a 1/2" particle board on top that has been laminated to look good for my wife's sake (I took over the 3rd bedroom). Plenty sturdy.

Just want to know if the 8" square steel plate will be big enough. The other option is going with 1" plate that I honestly don't want to have to cut. Strong mount is out - too wimpy and the bench was designed for me to load standing up already.

I'd appreciate it if someone would take a ruler to their 650 and clue me in so I can start worrying about something new ;)

Frame footprint is approximately five inches wide x four and one-half inches deep.

We do a similar mounting in our repair department, except for using 1/4" thick aluminum plate on particle board. :ph34r: